Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,714   Posts: 1,483,032   Online: 773

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images

Ilford Delta 3200 Question

As an example above, everyone will have a different method and preference. Start with saying "develop for 1250" and follow that with "if you aren't able to because you don't have those numbers on your data sheet, develop for 1600"

You can also call the lab and ask them what Exposure Index numbers they have for 3200 speed films ya know...

But with stuff like this, it's best to start out with developing at the shot speed so you have a baseline of exposure and contrast. If the negative is too dark, you know you need to adjust exposure, if its too contrasty and you have blocked up shadows or everything looks flat, you need to adjust the developing times. It's all simple to figure out but you should start at baseline and adjust from there or you will find it harder to figure out what works best.

~Stone

Mamiya: 7 II, RZ67 Pro II / Canon: 1V, AE-1, 5DmkII / Kodak: No 1 Pocket Autographic, No 1A Pocket Autographic | Sent w/ iPhone using Tapatalk
    ~Stone | "...of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong." ~Dennis Miller

Shooter
    35mm
    Are you sure they're gonna use TMAX developer?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I shot a few rolls of Delta 3200 over Christmas and i think i agree about developing it for 1 stop above what you shot it at. I shot all my rolls at 3200 and developed it at 3200 in HC-110 (B) and the negatives are not dense enough for what i think they should be. All rolls were shot in my F80 which has a pretty good meter yet most shots on the negative look way underexposed. I will definitely develop for the 6400 times next time i use it. I used Kodak's agitation recommendations for one roll (5 seconds every 30 seconds) and Ilford's D3200 agitation recommendations for another (10 seconds every minute), both for the same overall time.

Only other thing i'm trying to experiment with is controlling the grain. I accept it's a grainy film which is fine, but when i look at the negatives on the enlarger the grain looks like non uniform clumps of mud or popcorn, just doesn't look right..Not sure what's going wrong...I think i might try using DD-X to develop it in next.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Idonex View Post
    ..I think i might try using DD-X to develop it in next.
    I don't think Ilford recommend DDX for D3200 just to sell a few more containers of it. It really does a very good job with D3200

pentaxuser

Shooter
    35mm
    Just printed lots of photos for the family album (13x18cm) from Delta 3200@1600 souped in HC-110 - looking great. I've also shot it at box speed in the past, no problem. From my experience with this film, don't develop it at 1250, develop it for the times given for 1600, a bit of a push is never wrong for this film. For example if I shoot and develop it as 1600 I find myself needing to print on grade 4 (which is pretty high) for most scenes (depending on how contrasty the light was when I shot it, usually not that much when used in dark indoor situations), push-developing gives more separation in the negative and allows me to print at grades 2,5-3 which looks better, also grain-wise. However if you scan the film or have it scanned and don't print yourself in the darkroom it won't matter much anyway.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Quote Originally Posted by pentaxuser View Post
    I don't think Ilford recommend DDX for D3200 just to sell a few more containers of it. It really does a very good job with D3200

pentaxuser
    I second that. DD-X is a really good match for D3200. I shoot it between 1250 and 1600. Rarely at 3200asa.

I have also developed a good amount of D3200 in Diafine, also rated at 1250-1600. Very nice highlights due to the 2-bath action.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin