Switch to English Language Passer en langue franšaise Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,708   Posts: 1,548,564   Online: 1108

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Ilford Delta 3200 Question

I shot my first roll of Delta 3200 today. I'm wondering if I exposed it the best way possible. Using my meter, I saw that if I set the ISO value to 1250, I was getting decent shutter speeds so that was the setting I used on the camera. I shot the whole roll at ISO 1250. I am going to send it off to the lab with instructions on how I exposed it, requesting T-Max developer.

Is this reasonable or could I have done better?

Thanks,

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    What you did should work fine. You will have to use a higher gradation when enlarging the negs (or boost contrast if you go the hybrid route), but pics will be fine.
    Trying to be the best of whatever I am, even if what I am is no good.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Your thought process in choosing 1250 was as good as it gets.

Delta 3200 is an ISO 1000 film so you actually shot at almost box speed but that doesn't matter that much, you can get reasonable results shot anywhere from 400-12500.

The closest times Ilford publishes are for 800 & 1600. 1600 is the closest so I'd instruct the lab to "develop for EI 1600".

http://www.ilfordphoto.com/Webfiles/201071394723115.pdf
    Mark Barendt, Ignacio, CO

"We do not see things the way they are. We see things the way we are." Ana´s Nin

Shooter
    35mm
    In TMax dev, 1250 is probably very close to its true speed so what Mark above has said

pentaxuser

Shooter
    Large Format
    if I don't need speed or I'm using a fast lens I almost always shoot it at 2000. and develop for 3200. I really like those results. I've never shot 3200 speed film with 35mm, but in 120 on a 6x7, it looks amazing!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Should I tell the lab to process at 1250 or 1600? It sounds like 1250 is impossible if I understand right. I want to send the best instructions to the lab that are not confusing.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by RattyMouse View Post
    Should I tell the lab to process at 1250 or 1600? It sounds like 1250 is impossible if I understand right. I want to send the best instructions to the lab that are not confusing.
    Developing at 1250 is not impossible.

The reason I suggested 1600 is that it is a number that Ilford provides info/directions for; 1250 doesn't.

There will be very little difference between developing for 1250 and 1600 anyway.
    Mark Barendt, Ignacio, CO

"We do not see things the way they are. We see things the way we are." Ana´s Nin

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by markbarendt View Post
    Developing at 1250 is not impossible.

The reason I suggested 1600 is that it is a number that Ilford provides info/directions for; 1250 doesn't.

There will be very little difference between developing for 1250 and 1600 anyway.
    OK thank you. I am keen to see these results from my first ever roll of such a high speed film.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Shootar401 View Post
    I've never shot 3200 speed film with 35mm, but in 120 on a 6x7, it looks amazing!
    I've shot some D3200 at 3200 in 35mm (developed in HC-110, I think), and it looks pretty good. Lots of grain, of course, but that's to be expected. In MF I expect the grain would be quite unobtrusive. I've sort of converged on pushed Tri-X for that niche, but I wonder if I shouldn't go back and give D3200 another chance, maybe in a different developer.

-NT
    Nathan Tenny
    San Diego, CA, USA

The lady of the house has to be a pretty swell sort of person to put up with the annoyance of a photographer.
    -The Little Technical Library, _Developing, Printing, And Enlarging_

K-G
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Ilford Delta 3200 is an excelent film if handled in the right way. When it comes to developing, I have found for myself , and I have seen many others agree , that you get the best results if you develop for an ISO-number that is aproximately one f-stop higher than you exposed for. For example, if you expose for 1600 ISO you can try to develop for 3200 ISO. This method has given me good results. Good luck and Happy New Year !

Karl-Gustaf
    Karl-Gustaf Hellqvist

www.heliochroma.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  Ś   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin