Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,967   Posts: 1,523,369   Online: 1191

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Shooter
    Medium Format

Weird film spotting problem

Anyone know what is causing the issue in the attached film scan? I don't think it is from bubbles because it only happens with Fomapan. I have used several different films and have never had this problem. It is not in every frame either. It has ruined many of my photographs over the past year but this one is the worst. Also is there a printing solution for images with far less spots? The film is Fomapan 100 and the developer in Rodinal 1:50.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	120N001551APUG.jpg 
Views:	86 
Size:	806.9 KB 
ID:	62008
    Bachelor of Fine Arts and Bachelor of Arts: Journalism - University of Arkansas 2014

Canon A-1, Canon AE-1, Canon Canonet GIII 17, Argus 21, Rolleicord Va, Mamiya RB67, Voigtländer Bessa

http://darkroom317.deviantart.com/

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Nice photo. If you suspect it is the film, why keep using it? Never had problems with Kodak, Ilford, or Agfa (now gone).
    Items for sale or trade at www.Camera35.com

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I am already switching over to FP4+ but I am curious about the problem. I know several other members that use this film and haven't had these problems.
    Bachelor of Fine Arts and Bachelor of Arts: Journalism - University of Arkansas 2014

Canon A-1, Canon AE-1, Canon Canonet GIII 17, Argus 21, Rolleicord Va, Mamiya RB67, Voigtländer Bessa

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    These look like air bells to me. If they are, the solution I found to air bells is to rap the tank hard after agitation. It seems to me more important to catch this early in processing, when it is still dry. Once the film is totally wet, bubbles would tend to move around.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    OK. Well, you could try a plain water wetting before the developer?
    Items for sale or trade at www.Camera35.com

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Bill, that is exactly what I do. That is what makes this so confusing.

I should also mention that I use water for stop as people have reported issues with stop bath. I also don't pre-soak the film. Should I start?

Shooter
    35mm
    I agree with Bill. That is exactly how I would have responded. The tank-tapping should help.

Shooter
    35mm
    Why not use a chemical stop? I am not convinced that pre-soaking would remedy the issue.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Chemical stop is known to cause pinhole problems with Foma emulsions. As I have said I rap the tank on the counter after each agitation.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Both Kodak and Ilford say NOT to presoak film.

What is your agitation scheme. Does it include rapping the tank sharply on the counter to dislodge any air bubbles?
    A rock pile ceases to be a rock pile the moment a single man contemplates it, bearing within him the image of a cathedral.

~Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin