Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 76,342   Posts: 1,682,262   Online: 1124

Page 14 of 42 FirstFirst ... 489101112131415161718192024 ... LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by JustDave View Post
    Why would you have a 2nd fix?
    Basically what Jim said. When working with such large prints you are moving a lot of chemistry from tray to tray on that print no matter how much you may let it drain. The second fix just ends up being less contaminated than the first. When done printing, move your second fix to the first position and pour the old 1st fix into the reclaimation device. Then mix a new, uncontaminated fix to use as the second.

Also as Jim says, I have heard this discussion gets heated, but I have no dog in that fight. I just do what I do and it works for me.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    What about making something to stack your trays vertically? It would save bench space.

Steve.
    "People who say things won't work are a dime a dozen. People who figure out how to make things work are worth a fortune" - Dave Rat.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Steve, thanks, I've thought of that but I have cupboards above the work surface so I am squeezed for height too - particularly with big paper sizes - they take up lots of room being transfered from one tray to another

Martin

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Quote Originally Posted by billschwab View Post
    I'm with Jason on this. I would also not recommend skipping a stop bath when printing, especially when doing large prints.

Can you use your 3 trays in the darkroom for dev -> stop -> 1st fix and then go outside your darkroom for the 2nd fix and wash? I used to do this when I had limited space and had no problems. I would even use floor space when I didn't have the surface area.
    Thanks for the suggestion Bill - this might work

Dev > Stop > 1st Fix > empty tray > kitchen > 2nd Fix > Rinse > HCA > Washer

I will have to give a dry run to see if I can manoeuvre a large empty tray containing a wet print around the house without leaving a trail of fixer everywhere :o

My long suffering wife would have a severe sense of humour failure

Martin

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    One other possibility...how easy is it for you to pour out one of those big trays? One could be develop, then go into the stop bath...then pour the stop bath out into a wide-mouthed gallon container (keeping the print in the tray)...perhaps a quick rinse with water...then pour in the fixer. You could even do a second fix bath the same way.

Not exactly easy to do with such large trays, but keeping the volume of stop bath to a minimum would help.

Vaughn
    At least with LF landscape, a bad day of photography can still be a good day of exercise.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Do I assume correctly that you are using fibre based paper?

If it is RC, tubes might help.

Matt

Images
    Just as a note, Aaron Siskind skipped stop bath when making large prints, because it made it possible to do what he wanted in the space he had.

Never let the ideal stand in the way of art.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Quote Originally Posted by MattKing View Post
    Do I assume correctly that you are using fibre based paper?

If it is RC, tubes might help.

Matt
    Matt, you are correct - FB

Martin

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    I would suggest single tray processing using a stop bath.
    RJ

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Martin, If you are developing to completion you might look at getting a pvc pipe of appropriate size with end caps and you can develop and stop in the pipe and then fix in the trays. Just a thought
    erik

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin