Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,224   Posts: 1,532,629   Online: 894

Page 16 of 43 FirstFirst ... 61011121314151617181920212226 ... LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Smith View Post
    I was hoping that my inclusion of an exclamation mark would show my comment to be in jest. I don't use those silly smiley face thingies. Perhaps I should.

Steve.
    My bad
    Items for sale or trade at www.Camera35.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Stop bath is easy to make. It may be perhaps the easiest photo processing chemical to make with home-found ingredients. Next to water of course. Kitchen or table vinegar (plain, none of the types with herbs or spices added) added 1 part to 4 parts water will make an excellent, reuseable stop bath.

I second Fotch in using stopbath. Quickly and positively arresting development (by neutralisation) is better than just slowing it down or weakening it by just rinsing the developer-laden film with water. No worries of getting more development after the film has left the developer. And the fixer lives longer too.
    FED ZORKI SURVIVAL SITE
    RANGEFINDERFILIPINAS
    Zorkikat.Com

"不管黑猫白猫能抓到老鼠就是好猫。" 邓小平
    It doesn't matter if a cat is black or white, so long as it catches mice.-邓小平

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I've used water only as stop bath for film for years with no ill effects. The massive dilution curtails development just as effectively. I use 3-4 changes of water in Paterson tanks.

Niall

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by fotch View Post
    My bad
    I hate that phrase. Bad is an adjective - you can't own it. :rolleyes::o

There, I used them!

Steve.
    "People who say things won't work are a dime a dozen. People who figure out how to make things work are worth a fortune" - Dave Rat.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I usually use a stop bath.

Last night I developed three 120 roll films together. Usually I only do two at the most. So.... when I come to put the stop in, it eventually dawns on me that my ready mixed 1 litre of stop won't cover the films. Duh! So I used water instead. After very careful comparison of these films against ones where I did use a stop - I can detect no different at all...

The films were Delta 400 in dilute Rodinal, it takes a while. Maybe with a film / developer combination that develops very quickly it might have been different.
    Steve

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by steven_e007 View Post
    I usually use a stop bath.

Last night I developed three 120 roll films together. Usually I only do two at the most. So.... when I come to put the stop in, it eventually dawns on me that my ready mixed 1 litre of stop won't cover the films.
    You could have added water to the stop bath solution to increase its volume enough to cover the rolls you developed. It appears that the exact concentration is not too critical. The usual stopbath contains about 25 to 30ml acetic acid per litre. The concentration will be lowered if more water is added, but nonetheless the solution will still be acidic enough to neutralise the developer carry over.
    FED ZORKI SURVIVAL SITE
    RANGEFINDERFILIPINAS
    Zorkikat.Com

"不管黑猫白猫能抓到老鼠就是好猫。" 邓小平
    It doesn't matter if a cat is black or white, so long as it catches mice.-邓小平

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I use my stop at half the recommended dilution for film. This is not being cheap, rather a means of arresting development quickly, and at the same time, attempting to avoid pinholes or other supposed reactions and imperfections attributed to stop bath.I also give a single rinse between stop and fix, to lessen contamination of my fixer(TF-4). The use of stop for printing does have proven benefits,( unless using a running water bath in place of stop) as the water in a tray becomes laden with developer and turns into a weak developer itself, and carries over to the fixer tray. IMO, this could be more of a problem with FB paper than with RC, but still a problem none the less.

If I were using a rented DR, I would definitly supply my own chems, pre-mixed (as much as feasable)and shun their supplied chems.
    Rick A
    Argentum aevum
    BTW: the big kid in my avatar is my hero, my son, who proudly serves us in the Navy. "SALUTE"

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by BirgerA View Post
    I've used both water, citric acid (smells less) or a weak solution of fixer as stop.
    Birger A.
    The one thing likely to cause a problem is using weak fixer as a stop bath, you run a very high risk of dichroic fog & staining.

I haven't used a stop-bath for years with film, but always use one for prints.

Ian

Shooter
    Medium Format

I've Dropped Stop

I use film and paper fixer Very dilute one-shot.
    The Fresh little loaded with silver very dilute fix
    washes out quickly and with little water.
    No stop needed. Dan

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Smith View Post
    I hate that phrase. Bad is an adjective - you can't own it. :rolleyes::o

There, I used them!

Steve.
    Steve, I could not agree more. Why would anyone deliberately use poor grammar and risk being compared with Sarah Palin, who recently used the word "refudiate," an apparent combination of repudiate and refute. She then defended herself by saying that Shakespeare liked to make up words also.

web site: Dan Henderson, Photographer.com

blog: https://danhendersonphotographer.wordpress.com/

I am not anti-digital. I am pro-film.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin