Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,978   Posts: 1,523,689   Online: 1122

Page 18 of 43 FirstFirst ... 81213141516171819202122232428 ... LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian Grant View Post
    Ilford Rapid Fixer & Hypam are essentially almost the same, Hypam has additional buffering for use with a Hardener. Aside from that they are to all intents and purposes inter changeable.

Ian
    Understood. I've always considered the three (Hypam and the two Rapid Fixers) as acidic fixers essentially interchangeable for my purposes. I'm currently using Hypam because it is easily found here in the 5 liter container that I like. I probably would have stayed with the Kodak Rapid fixer if it was possible to buy it in the medium size quantity I like without the accompanying hardener.
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    A bit more (a lot more) on stop bath...

http://photo.net/black-and-white-pho...g-forum/003T9c

Reinhold

www.classicBWphoto.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by lynettemax View Post
    Hey all,
    Today I went to a local photography store that rents darkroom time. I took a look inside to see what they had to offer before renting time. I noticed that they did not have any stop bath for developing film. I asked a worker there and she said that they used water... Will this have any negative effects on my film? Or is this not the big deal i thought it would be?

Oh and, if this is in the wrong section please forgive me (:

Thanks everyone!
    Lynette
    I can't believe all this anti-stop bath nonsense lately. Please use a mild acid stop bath. If you are after consistency, repeatability, and control, remove as many unnecessary variables as possible. Stop bath is the most precise way to immediately arrest development.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I like the alkaline fixers for faster washing, so no stop bath for me. I get just as much "consistency, repeatability, and control" as when I used stop bath. Plus I haven't had a pinhole in years from mixing it up too strong.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael R 1974 View Post
    I can't believe all this anti-stop bath nonsense lately. Please use a mild acid stop bath. If you are after consistency, repeatability, and control, remove as many unnecessary variables as possible. Stop bath is the most precise way to immediately arrest development.
    If someone wants to use water as a stop for their film then that is their choice. If they always use the same technique and take the same time to empty the developer and pour in the water then they will have the consistency, repeatability and control which you imply is lacking.

I'm not sure that a few seconds variance in arresting development is that big an issue especially when you have development times approaching ten minutes or so.

Steve.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Thanks so much everyone for the fast responses!
    I really appreciate everyones input. I guess besides water being a good replacement for stop bath its cheaper on my college loans!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Three points to consider here.

1. Acid stops can be used with alkaline fixes.

2. Acid stops help remove some of the Metol from film or paper if you are using an alkaline fix. After all, Metol is not very soluble in alkali as we all know from mixing up developers. Metol is shipped as the acid salt of an organic base and dissolves poorly in alkali. Alkaline fixes retard removal just a tad and we have no reliable test for retained Metol. That is one reason I always use an acid stop, regardless of fix. Of course, acid retards removal of HQ. Not a perfect world is it?

3. The ideal combination is an acid stop and either a neutral or alkaline fix.

PE
    Last edited by Photo Engineer; 07-20-2010 at 05:29 PM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: Typo

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Hate, Is such a vicious word ...

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Smith View Post
    I hate that phrase. Bad is an adjective - you can't own it. :rolleyes::o

There, I used them!

Steve.
    Hi Steve,

I also dislike the phrase : My Bad.

I definitely agree with you about the usage of the smiley,
    and whatever the rest of the symbols represent.

But, I noticed that you used several of the symbols.
    Which one is now your favourite ?

* Hopefully you won't dislike my spelling of favorite. { insert symbol here } *

Ron

From The Long Island Of New York, and the
    Long Island @ Large Format Group, right here on APUG

__________________________________________________ ________________________________________________

Sanjay Sen - APUG Subscriber
    Sanjay Sen, 36, a champion of human and animal rights, died June 3 in a motorcycle accident in Wayne, New Jersey.

July 23 1975 - June 3 2012

__________________________________________________ __________________________________________

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I'm always curious how these grass roots movements get started. I know it is not limited to the internet because even back in the 70s I had self proclaimed experts tell me I didn't need the acetic acid.

I think I'm going to start an internet movement claiming that it is bad to cook pork, and just eat it raw...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Guys;

You get away with no stop for film because film develops more slowly than paper and even when the rinse is bad, the resulting stains may not be easily seen. A print is developing rapidly when you put it into rinse water and you can quickly see stain or non-uniformity. But, just because you get away with it does not mean it is good.

I have seen people use a tray of water as a "stop" for a whole printing session and wonder why their prints change from the start to the end of a session! Hello!!!! The water bath is becoming a developer due to carryover and even 30" in this alkaline bath changes the process. And, the carryover of byproducts into an alkaline fix makes the ammonia smell increase and actually slows fixing and allows development to continue.

SO! If you use a rinse instead of a stop, and insist on using it, it MUST be running water. That is, unless you only intend to do 1 or 2 prints or one roll of film. Even that might be too much for some fixer/developer combinations!

PE

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin