Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,943   Posts: 1,557,614   Online: 1201

Page 36 of 43 FirstFirst ... 2630313233343536373839404142 ... LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by BetterSense View Post
    Water is cheaper than stop bath
    That depends, the water my home uses has to be delivered via a truck and stored in a cistern, it costs 6¢ per gallon.

The bigger issue is simply availability, overuse means I can literally end up with nothing to drink and nothing to flush with for a day or two depending on the weather and that the emergency load I order might cost me 12¢ a gallon.

I have been careful to avoid creating this situation with my darkroom work because it tends to make my wife grumpy.

The other thought is that for those of us who choose to use distilled or specially filtered water the cost approaches $1 a gallon.
    Mark Barendt, Beaverton, OR

"We do not see things the way they are. We see things the way we are." Anaïs Nin

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Yes, you can do that, but I would not do it using water straight from the tap. I'd keep some water in a container in the cabinet with all your other chemicals so that every solution is close to the same temperature. It need not be store-bought water, but it should be bottled by you ahead of time and kept alongside your other chemicals and your water supply that you use for mixing processing solutions. (If you use tap water to mix your processing solutions, I suggest pre-bottling this as well, for the same reason.) There is some room for slop, but temperature differences between solutions should not be taken lightly.

Additionally, I would use the water for longer than you would use the stop bath, and I would agitate more as well. Stop bath has done its thing in 15 to 30 seconds with just a few inversions, but it takes more time and agitation to rinse the developer out of the film. When I skip stop bath (which I usually do only when processing in open tanks), I do one minute with constant agitation, dump the water, then do the same thing again before going to the fixer.
    Last edited by 2F/2F; 10-09-2010 at 07:49 AM. Click to view previous post history.
    2F/2F

"Truth and love are my law and worship. Form and conscience are my manifestation and guide. Nature and peace are my shelter and companions. Order is my attitude. Beauty and perfection are my attack."

- Rob Tyner (1944 - 1991)

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Thanks. My reason for considering water instead of the Kodak stop bath is that I want to have 4 tanks (1500cc each) going at once and don't want to have 6 L of stop bath pre mixed as I use it one time and throw it out.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by ymc226 View Post
    Thanks. My reason for considering water instead of the Kodak stop bath is that I want to have 4 tanks (1500cc each) going at once and don't want to have 6 L of stop bath pre mixed as I use it one time and throw it out.
    Just stop doing that!

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Vinegar works fine. 1-4 works fine for single use, use 1-1 or 2-1 if you'll be reusing it.

and you can reuse stop bath until it turns purple. That takes a looooong time.
    --Nicholas Andre

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by tiberiustibz View Post
    Vinegar works fine. 1-4 works fine for single use, use 1-1 or 2-1 if you'll be reusing it.

and you can reuse stop bath until it turns purple. That takes a looooong time.
    I think that vinegar may actually be more expensive in many cases...and it doesn't tell you when it has pooped out.

With one $7 bottle of Kodak Indicator Stop Bath having lasted me four years, and still having 1/3 of the bottle left (meaning that I am spending about a dime per month on stop bath), I would not even consider the cost of stop bath when deciding whether or not to use it or vinegar. Then again, I re-use the working solution until it goes purple or loses its sharp smell. (Then I pour it in with my spent fixer for disposal at a local hazardous waste roundup facility.)
    2F/2F

"Truth and love are my law and worship. Form and conscience are my manifestation and guide. Nature and peace are my shelter and companions. Order is my attitude. Beauty and perfection are my attack."

- Rob Tyner (1944 - 1991)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I don't use stop bath for processing film because I've had
    Pin holes from acid shock. Does anybody else experience the same?

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Mainecoonmaniac View Post
    I don't use stop bath for processing film because I've had
    Pin holes from acid shock. Does anybody else experience the same?
    Perhaps it would be useful to tell us what film - developer combination caused pinholes. FWIW, it has never happened to me, but I only use films from major manufacturers and I've never used a developer with carbonate.

San Francisco, CA | Kuching, MY | Jakarta, ID
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by ymc226 View Post
    Stop dumping your stop bath after one use. It doesn't matter how much random crud is in it - it's not going to affect the image anyways.
    Stop worrying about grain, resolution, sharpness, and everything else that doesn't have a damn thing to do with substance.

http://www.flickr.com/kediwah

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The film/developer combo is 4x5 FP4 and HC-110. Now my other question is will not using stop bath kill your fixer faster?

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin