Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,727   Posts: 1,515,130   Online: 1114

Page 38 of 43 FirstFirst ... 28323334353637383940414243 LastLast
    San Francisco, CA | Kuching, MY | Jakarta, ID
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The crazy thing about these threads is that I can never figure out, other than availability, why people wouldn't just get over it and use a stop bath.

Less time, less hassle, less complexity.
    Stop worrying about grain, resolution, sharpness, and everything else that doesn't have a damn thing to do with substance.

http://www.flickr.com/kediwah

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by clayne View Post
    The crazy thing about these threads is that I can never figure out, other than availability, why people wouldn't just get over it and use a stop bath.
    Perhaps some people don't want to use something if they don't need to.

Steve.

Shooter
    Multi Format

Less time, less hassle, less complexity.
    I can only agree with you.

And about availability: Citric Acid (15g/ltr.) or Acetic Acid (99,5% (Glacial), 15% (cleaning) or white vinegar) should not be any problem to get one of these.

In the practical way when I am changing the fixer (6-10 films 500ml) I am changing the stop (Citric Acid) too. I do not like to keep working solutions over a longer time. And if you look at the costs of some chemicals, it's a fraction of the overall costs in photography. And for the work: I like liquid chemicals, fast and easy, no hassle outside the darkroom with powders. Making a new set (stop + fix) is just minute work.
    Last edited by RobertV; 10-11-2010 at 04:08 AM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: typo

San Francisco, CA | Kuching, MY | Jakarta, ID
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Smith View Post
    Perhaps some people don't want to use something if they don't need to.

Steve.
    Okay. Fill a tank 3 times or fill a tank 1 time. How valuable is your time?
    Stop worrying about grain, resolution, sharpness, and everything else that doesn't have a damn thing to do with substance.

http://www.flickr.com/kediwah

Shooter
    35mm
    Okay. Fill a tank 3 times or fill a tank 1 time. How valuable is your time?
    I only fill my tank up with water 1 time for the 'stop' step. It works fine.

I also use plain water (the same water I presoak in) as 'stop' when I develop sheet film in hangers. This saves me a whole tank of chemicals that I don't have to set out and maintain 2L of, and store somewhere in my tiny darkroom.
    f/22 and be there.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by BetterSense View Post
    I only fill my tank up with water 1 time for the 'stop' step. It works fine.
    Me too.

I think it's a mistake to think that there is only one correct way to do things. When this train of thought is applied it usually escalates into "only my method is correct".

Steve.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I lolled at "less complexity" and "less hassle".

Steve, so true.....

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Thanks for the tip. I'll start using stop bath for film processing. I currently use it for print processing, but is it OK to use the same stop bath for print and film processing?

North America just north of that sharp right turn North America makes on the Atlantic coast.
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    I will start with the disclaimer that I do not use stop bath, I use straight cold water from a tap and that is good enough for me and what I'm doing.I am just shooting for fun, and yes my negatives are all over the place, dark, light, thin, purple, but I really don't care as long as I can get a print from them I'm happy.

If you truly want to have consistent results you need to remove as many variables as you can. That includes maintaining temperature, using the same water for everything, and keeping track of all times. Yes it is easy to get images to show up on a negative, but to get them to show up the same way every time takes a lot of precise control. You can use straight water as a stop bath, and still maintain this control, but you will need a lot of it and you will have to keep it in a tank, and when the tank is empty and you refill it your results may change and you will have to adjust for that. Unless you have a water treatment set up at your home that can ensure that your water is the same every time, or you don't care about things being the same every time, use the stop bath and distiled water for everything.

There are some people that get enjoyment from taking total control of the process and their reward is being able to take a photo, process it, and print it and know exactly how it will turn out. There are also professionals that need to have a print turn out the same every time. I'm neither of those, but if you are, use stop bath.

Even the worst photo processing places treat their water before using it, there is a reason for that.
    Last edited by bblhed; 10-11-2010 at 01:59 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    "Would you like it if someone that painted in oils told you that you were not making portraits because you were using a camera?"
    "Shouldn't it be more about the joy of producing and viewing the photo than what you paid for the camera?"

Me

Shooter
    35mm
    I currently use it for print processing, but is it OK to use the same stop bath for print and film processing?
    I wouldn't. Chemicals used for paper always end up with a lot of junk in them from being used in trays, like bits of paper, that you don't want adhering to your film.
    f/22 and be there.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin