Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 73,643   Posts: 1,623,284   Online: 1201

Page 42 of 42 FirstFirst ... 3236373839404142
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    The only staining developer I have used it Prescysol. It is advised to use an alkaline fix with this but I have seen no difference in my own negative with acid or alkaline.

I'm sure if there was a reduction of stain with an acid fix, it would be dependent upon the time spent in the fix.

Steve.
    "People who say things won't work are a dime a dozen. People who figure out how to make things work are worth a fortune" - Dave Rat.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Any staining that takes place in film or paper may take years and years to show up. I have generally seen that bad stains take as little as 5 years to show up, and moderate stains take 15 - 20 years or more. So, don't talk about seeing no stains until you have looked at your prints in 20 years.

PE

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Smith View Post
    The only staining developer I have used it Prescysol. It is advised to use an alkaline fix with this but I have seen no difference in my own negative with acid or alkaline.

I'm sure if there was a reduction of stain with an acid fix, it would be dependent upon the time spent in the fix.

Steve.
    That's the experience of many others, the stain isn't affected by the use of normal fixers ith pH's in the region of 5.2/5.4. Prescsol is a clone of Pyrocat HD so behave the same way.

I've run tests with prints processed in a Pyro developer and the stain is very stable and unaffected by fixer.

Just to quash another myth -stains from using Pyro developoers don't suddenly appear after a number of years. Stains particularly with FB prints do show up after time and that might be years from inadequate fixing/washing but that can happen with any developer.

Ian

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I have only read a few pages of this thread, but with regard to using water as a stop bath (or wash if one prefers to call it that), water is the standard stop bath used in phototherm processors.

With regard to a degree of continued development when using water vs. acidic stop bath, the only reason this could be bad is if the continuation of development is both pronounced and uneven. Assuming the continuation of development is uniform it is not a problem, and if one is worried about the extra development using a water stop bath, then just cut the main development time by a small fraction of the total.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Alan, for the sake of uniformity, the need for a stop goes up with size and is more important with paper than film due to shorter development times.

A running water rinse is better than a static rinse in order to reduce carrryover into the fix. This becomes critical with higher pH fixers.

PE

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin