Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,871   Posts: 1,583,324   Online: 1136

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I am not old enough to be "in" on the details of this naming stuff for films, but I do believe that David is right.

X means times. So Super X was 2x the speed of an earlier film, and Super XX was 2x the speed, while TriX is 3x the speed. So, we have 100, 200 and 400. And BTW, Tri X is supposed to be 400.

PE

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    I don't know about rocket boosters... but I'm going to be buried reading "Photographic News for Amateur Photographers" for a while, this is fun reading.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Photo Engineer View Post
    I am not old enough to be "in" on the details of this naming stuff for films, but I do believe that David is right.

X means times. So Super X was 2x the speed of an earlier film, and Super XX was 2x the speed, while TriX is 3x the speed. So, we have 100, 200 and 400. And BTW, Tri X is supposed to be 400.

PE
    Didn't all the films come out under the earlier ASA definition which included a safety factor?

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    hi bill

i have an old DREM INSTOMETER from around 1937ish
    and there are no asa - type film speeds on it
    it just has scheiner speeds ... maybe when asa values were established
    they established the "X"factor
    where's george when we need him ?!

john

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill Burk View Post
    Didn't all the films come out under the earlier ASA definition which included a safety factor?
    Yes they did.

But it's the family of films introduced around 1939 that were based on the X factor, Pan X, Super XX and Tri X which came out at the same time so there's no reference back to earlier films.

This family of films was introduced to compete with Ilfords new Pan F, Fine Grain Panchromatic and Hypersensitive Panchromatic which came out slightly earlier and still exists as Pan F, FP4+ and HP5+.

Ian

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    In broad terms, ASA and ISO are the same to me. I use old meters with impunity! They are all marked in ASA and they still work. My newest automatic cameras use ISO in the internal meters and I still get the same density (within experimental error).

Yeah, you are right, kinda, and so am I. There actually is so much "fudge factor" in both that it is hard to say. Mid scale speed taken from the straight line, is what we use in the lab! The toe can lead to imprecise results, and the best method is the inflection point of the toe from fog, but you don't take pictures there. It is the absolute speed point though.

PE

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Photo Engineer View Post

PE
    As I said above:

X=ASA 100 (and double and tri refer to the number of steps of doubling speed), as long as Panatomic-X is not spoiling the game....

Thus so far I'm not convinced.

It must mean something else. What about potion No.9...?

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by zsas View Post
    ^ But David's theory doesn't work on the Microdol-X example....thinking X is used to mean Y....whatever that Y maybe
    However this may be the true marketing speak. X also represents the "unknown" aka "secret and special". So it was the practical film engineers who had a big say in the film nomenclature and the MAD men who were instrumental in the developer's name

pentaxuser

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Are you guys sure that it isn't Newspeak for something? Double-X Plus-X Good-X?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Well, AgX and David Lyga essentially say the same as I did. The X in film names refer to speed increases. Thus the 3 of us agree. Whether rue or not remains to be seen.

I would like to suggest that the X in Microdol X refers to a secret ingredient. ! I have the name of that sitting right next to me in a little pocket note book that I had with me when either Dick Henn or Grant Haist gave it to me!!

Panatomic X grew (IIRC) from an original formula by having the same grain but higher speed. The earlier film was not named Panatomic, but I can check on that if I get unlazy and look it up.

PE

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin