Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,218   Posts: 1,532,173   Online: 1023

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Will S
    Does this film need a hardening fixer? I asked in another thread but no one ever replied. I have some Kodak rapid fix but I've never used it. It looks like mix 1:2 and then add the hardener, but I'm thinking that you can leave the hardener out and just mix it with water and do it separate from the fix. But I'm not sure how much water to add to it. Maybe 100:1?

Thanks,

Will
    I don't know what Kodak uses for a hardner but it may need an acid enviroment. That's one reason for many fixers being acidic so the hardener can work. In other words I doubt you could just put it in water.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Everything I've read indicates that you need an acid environment for hardeners to work. If there's something out there that works in a neutral to alkaline environment, I don't know about it. So yes, I would expect the hardener to be of little value if it were just mixed with water. On another note, I've rarely seen the need for a hardening fixer. As long as you are careful when handling the film after fixation, you should be fine. Once the film is dry, the hardener no longer has any effect.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin