Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,008   Posts: 1,524,606   Online: 1061

Shooter
    Medium Format

Crawley's FX37 in Glycol.....?

I had a little time to kill this morning so I decided to play chemist. Now, I took Chemistry, Biology and Physics in High School, but the only thing I really remember is showing up for class and being glad to hear that good old class ending bell. I passed them all, but really don't know how? Here's the deal. I tried FX37 sometime back and really liked it, but then went back to Xtol and WD2D+ pyro. Well, I wanted to use some FX37 last night and my stock was darker than Coke so I dumped it. I looked at the date on the bottle and said to myself, "my where does the time go". So, this morning I decided to run another batch only this time I wanted it to last and last and last. I read somewhere, a line by Patrick Gainer, that he would add the Phenidone and Hydroquinone to Glycol and eventually substitute Ascrobic acid for the Hydroquinone, but that was pretty much all I remember. Here's the question.............: I added the Phenidone and Hydroquinone to Glycol, but now I'm wondering about the part B solution, which would contain Sodium Sulfite anhydrous, Sodium Carbonate anhydrous, Borax, Potassium Bromide and a 1% solution of Benzotriazole with water to make 1000ml. Since I've read that Gycol is a solvent do I cut or eliminate the Sodium Sulfite in the part B? JohnW

Shooter
    35mm RF
    John, you are probably remembering this article:

http://www.apug.org/forums/forum223/...lta-films.html

In it, Gainer suggests keeping the Phenidone and Hydroquinone in a separate glycol solution. But nothing more appears to have been done with this idea.
    I tested FX-37 once: Compared with XTOL, FX-37 gave less shadow-detail despite being overdeveloped. I was not impressed, and would suggest using XTOL instead.

Mark Overton

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by albada View Post
    John, you are probably remembering this article:

http://www.apug.org/forums/forum223/...lta-films.html

In it, Gainer suggests keeping the Phenidone and Hydroquinone in a separate glycol solution. But nothing more appears to have been done with this idea.
    I tested FX-37 once: Compared with XTOL, FX-37 gave less shadow-detail despite being overdeveloped. I was not impressed, and would suggest using XTOL instead.

Mark Overton
    Mark,
    It's tooooooo late! I already have a mixed up the batch. I put all the other chems in part B. I'm also going to mix up a normal batch and then compare the two. You are right, that's the thread I was remembering. If it doesn't pan out there's alway xtol. JohnW

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    I love fx37 for tmax 100, 400 and especially Efke Aura IR..

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by eclarke View Post
    I love fx37 for tmax 100, 400 and especially Efke Aura IR..
    Hey buddy, you're the one that got me to try FX37 in the first place. I do like it and think it might be something to really "ring out" with certain films. I think I'm just going to throw all the other chems into part "B" and then make up a normal (published version) batch and compare the two. Nothing lost other than a few chemicals and at least I'll know which is better. For high contrast I will still go with WD2D+, but FX37 might be just the ticket for my Delta 100. JohnW

Shooter
    Medium Format

UPDATE!

Well, I finally get around to trying my split glycol mixed FX-37. I tried it as a divided, two solution stand developer and as a mix of both part "A" and "B". The stand was a flop and almost NO development took place on Acros 35mm. The A&B mix was a little better, but I either have to really beef up the dilution or extend the time to almost forever. Nice try, but not worth the time for me. I'll stick with straight FX-37 for some really nice looking Acros negs. It was fun and a learning experience! JohnW

Shooter
    35mm
    try next formula for high concentrate split FX-37

Part A
    Sodium sulfite (anhy) .................. 80.0 g
    Hydroquinone ........................... 10.0 g
    Phenidone .............................. 1.0 g
    Potassium bromide ...................... 1.0 g
    Benzotriazole, 1% ...................... 10.0 ml
    Distilled water to make ................ 1.0 l

Part B
    Sodium sulfite (anhy) .................. 40.0 g
    Sodium carbonate (anhy) ................ 10.0 g
    Borax .................................. 5,0 g

use 1+1+6 with same time as for 1+3 dilution of original FX-37 formula

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Relayer View Post
    try next formula for high concentrate split FX-37

Part A
    Sodium sulfite (anhy) .................. 80.0 g
    Hydroquinone ........................... 10.0 g
    Phenidone .............................. 1.0 g
    Potassium bromide ...................... 1.0 g
    Benzotriazole, 1% ...................... 10.0 ml

Part B
    Sodium sulfite (anhy) .................. 40.0 g
    Sodium carbonate (anhy) ................ 10.0 g
    Borax .................................. 5,0 g

use 1+1+6 with same time as for 1+3 dilution of original FX-37 formula
    I believe that's pretty close to the way I had it split, but used Glycol in part "A" instead of distilled water. I was trying to get better keeping / shelf life. I let it set around for some time in a partly filled bottle. When I went to use it to test I just barely had an image. Of course I could have done something else wrong and not known it? I do like the developer, but for how often I use it I'd be better off to mix small and dump. JohnW

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin