Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,970   Posts: 1,523,480   Online: 956

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    John,

I only have Dektol but I can mix my own. Oh, I also have Ilford warm tone developer but I'm not sure if it's still good.... (I forgot about it)

I can't do wide angle trick. It will mess up my composition. Foreground/background proportions are very important in this image.
    Develop, stop, fix.... wait.... where's my film?

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by tkamiya View Post
    John,

I only have Dektol but I can mix my own. Oh, I also have Ilford warm tone developer but I'm not sure if it's still good.... (I forgot about it)

I can't do wide angle trick. It will mess up my composition. Foreground/background proportions are very important in this image.
    The wide angle is just to put a smaller image on the film. Don't move closer. My first thought was to use a Minox. Have you ever tried one of those?

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Reticulation looks much different than big grain. If you want to reticulate, I'd try soak in a strong, hot alkali to swell the emulsion then soak it in room temp a strong-ish solution. I only did this once, but it worked pretty well. If you want to have big 3200 grain, use 3200. You can get enough filteration some combination of ND filters, polarizer, and a red filter. Or use lith if the color works for your image.
    Your first 10,000 pictures are the worst - HCB

www.markjamesfisher.com

Shooter
    Medium Format
    But proportions in an image don't change with a changed angle of view. Relative size of objects in the frame only change when the camera to subject distance is changed. As long as you maintain the position from which you have determined your ideal composition, then you can indeed use a wide angle lens and enlarge the desired part of the negative, thus increasing the grain. The relative sizes of the foreground/background will remain the same.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill Burk View Post
    The wide angle is just to put a smaller image on the film. Don't move closer. My first thought was to use a Minox. Have you ever tried one of those?

Now I see what you are trying to say. No, I don't have or have ever used Minox.... Although I have used a "spy camera" that came with a magazine subscription in the 70s.... It had a very small roll film that resembled super miniature 120 roll. I wonder what it was?

I think I'll try Dektol and ND4. Then go from there.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    But I also have a nagging feeling that there is a way to get big grain that hasn't been brought up.

There must be a combination... All the things we try not to do because we want fine grain, do the opposite.

Rodinal doesn't claim to be a fine grain developer. (Neither does Dektol).

Fog the film. Overexpose it.

Maybe additional unusual processing steps like a desensitizer (*as I recall it will degrade the image but allow developing by inspection). Afterwards do an intensifier...

*I had read the paragraph in my reference book wrong, they weren't saying desensitizing degrades the image. Three sentences were strung together in an overview ... It was describing desensitization, intensification, reduction.

But this gives me an idea: Do both! Intensify and Reduce the negative. By the time you are done with it, the negative should be a wreck!
    Last edited by Bill Burk; 01-02-2013 at 10:29 PM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: trying to clarify what I meant

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Although I have used a "spy camera" that came with a magazine subscription in the 70s.... It had a very small roll film that resembled super miniature 120 roll. I wonder what it was?
    That was probably a HIT camera...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Have you tried cutting down some X-ray film to fit in the camera? It's ISO 200 and has evident grain even in 8x10
    www.EASmithV.com

"The camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera."— Dorothea Lange
    http://www.flickr.com/easmithv/
    RIP Kodachrome

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I have not tried X-ray film. I don't have any.... and I have a huge stock of Tri-X. I wasn't aware X-ray film has such a high sensitivity in visible light spectrum either.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I think Tri-X pushed in Dektol will give a good start. I would also use the wide lens as already suggested, so you are cropping and enlarging a small section of the frame, therefore enlarging the grain more than if you utilise the full frame. I saw some nice results recently made with a half frame camera and Tri-X in Dektol.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin