Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,231   Posts: 1,532,880   Online: 1074

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Wow, Bill... thank you for trying that. I was going to try it then got side tracked....
    Develop, stop, fix.... wait.... where's my film?

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    I haven't printed yet, but the numbers are in... You can go shoot with this information...

I'm going to recommend Dektol 1:9 for 5 minutes (4 - 6 minutes) for a "N" Normal (7 stops) scene.

This should give about 0.45 Contrast Index (0.4 - 0.5 CI).

Approximately good to fit Grade 4 paper on a Diffuse Enlarger (Grade 4 - Grade 3).

I measured EI 80. But I will recommend underexposing by rating the film at EI 125. This will help "Zone V" approach 0.30 density (which is where LP Clerc says you will see the most graininess).

If you rate the film at EI 80 then "Zone V" density is around 0.60 (not bad in itself just not the grainiest).

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Gerald C Koch View Post
    Geoffrey Crawley's FX-16 was designed specifically to enhance the grain effect in fast (ISO 400 and above) films while retaining image sharpness.
    Thanks Gerald, I was looking forward to more developer suggestions. I know Dektol isn't going to be the "worst".

Shooter
    Multi Format
    What film did you use, Bill?
    EI 80 and 125??
    Tri-x???

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Yes it's fresh Tri-X. But I may have used the wrong calibration.

Compared to TXP-320 in D-76 I have an upwards revision in EI: 125 and 200

(My calibration scale is likely reading low 2/3 stop).

---
    Revised Recommendation:
    ---

I measured EI 125. But I will recommend underexposing by rating the film at EI 200. This will help "Zone V" approach 0.30 density (which is where LP Clerc says you will see the most graininess).

If you rate the film at EI 125 then "Zone V" density is around 0.60 (not bad in itself just not the grainiest).
    Last edited by Bill Burk; 01-08-2013 at 05:36 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Thank you Bill. I'll be trying this soon. I'm going to have to go shooting again and probably shoot two rolls of the same scene so I can try variety of development. (I'm going to cut the film in half so I have 4 strips)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I am doing some of my own testing based on Bill's testing.

Shot Tri-X at EI=400. I always shoot at ISO speed unless I have a specific reason not to...
    Dektol 1:9 70F 6 min....
    Over developed a bit and quite grainy. I LOVE IT....
    Seems a bit over developed.
    This is actually grainer than Delta 3200.

Now doing the same with 5 min....

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin