Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,852   Posts: 1,582,874   Online: 935

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    DF

Not Happy With Prints - Low Impact/Too "Neutral"(Greyish)/Not Enough Contrast

I've been using Ilford RC Pearl Finish Muti-Grade and i'm not getting a "look" I want. I see so many great prints that are so contrasty - very black blacks white whites, yet my prints have a "flatness" to them. They just seem so "greyish"/boringly dull. Is it the paper? Filter in the enlarger? Do I need to learn a new paper - fiber type, hogh contrast?

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Time to do a safelight check?
    At least with LF landscape, a bad day of photography can still be a good day of exercise.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Hi DF,

You could be either; a) printing using the incorrect filter or no filter, b) using old, poorly-stored, degraded or lightly-fogged paper, c) using cold, exhausted or partly-exhausted developer, d) 'pulling' prints before they've fully developed, e) using a low-contrast print developer, f) trying to print low-contrast/underexposed negatives. It's possible that g) your camera lens, negative, enlarging lens or enlarger's optical path have accumulated dust/grease/condensation/other and need cleaning, or h) your paper is being fogged by your safelight or other extraneous light source.

Unless b), you don't need to 'learn' a new paper - MGIV RC will give the contrast you desire when your fault is corrected. If you can post some examples others might be able to offer more concise and pertinent information than me.

Cheers,
    kevs
    Last edited by kevs; 01-02-2013 at 10:11 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    testing...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Also, consider toning the prints in selenium toner. That should deepen the blacks. I have some papers that are just
    blah without toner, but change their look drastically after toning.

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by anikin View Post
    Also, consider toning the prints in selenium toner. That should deepen the blacks. I have some papers that are just
    +1 for this recommendation. I recommend 1:9 dilution for 2-4 minutes. It will remove the greenish cast and slightly deepen the blacks. Very nice look.

Are you sure your developer is fresh? Most likely a filter issue. Are they faded? If it's a dial in enlarger are you sure it's working correctly??

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by anikin View Post
    MGIV doesn't change dramatically in selenium, and RC papers rarely do. bt,dt.
    Last edited by kevs; 01-02-2013 at 11:09 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    testing...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Let's not go overboard with suggestions....

My first suggestion will be to see and evaluate what your film looks like. Is it properly exposed and developed? If it is reasonably well exposed and developed, there is no reason why decent looking prints can't be made with RC with grade 2 or 3 filter. Once you know the film is ok, then see if you have a problem with your enlarging process. Is your darkroom really light tight? Is your safe light really safe? Your developer is not exhausted? Paper not fogged?

Unless all these checks out, going to higher grade filter or paper, or going extraordinary effort to dodge and burn every part of image will be wasted.

Are you able to put your film on a light table or something and take a digital photograph of that? Can you scan or photograph your unsatisfactory print? Let's see what we have here.
    Develop, stop, fix.... wait.... where's my film?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by kevs View Post
    MGIV doesn't change dramatically in selenium, and RC papers rarely do. bt,dt.
    As a general rule, you are correct. With most RC papers the effect is barely noticeable. However, the two papers that did show this effect for me were in fact both RC. And I believe one of them was from Ilford. I don't remember which exact type it was, but I'm positive it was not a warm tone paper.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Agree with tkamiya,

We recently teamed up to answer a very similar question and the consensus there pointed to a simple answer: underexposure.

So, DF, the more we know of what you did and what it looks like, the sooner we can give you an idea what is wrong. It might be an easy fix.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The Ilford Cooltone RC paper definitely responds to selenium.
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin