Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,514   Posts: 1,543,668   Online: 910

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Personally, I make 32 oz working solution as I tone 11x14 as well. 1.5 oz SEL to 30 oz H2O. This keeps for quite a while.... so store it in a bottle and you are good to go.

Thats what I'm talking about.. So this works for you?

Todd

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Todd,

Instructions from Kodak's website:

"Use with warm-tone papers to produce several cold brown hues
    Use to extend print life without changing the image tone on black-and-white paper
    Used for archival processing
    Dilute 1:20 for print protection
    Dilute 1:20 or 1:40 to increase shadow contrast and maximum density with a minimum tone change"
    http://www.kodak.com/global/en/profe...bwToners.jhtml
    http://www.kodak.com/global/en/profe...bs/g23/g23.pdf

I'd suggest 1:10 dilution for colour change. Don't rely on Kodak's line about protection without tone change - that has been disproved now.

Cheers,
    kevs
    testing...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by ToddB View Post
    Personally, I make 32 oz working solution as I tone 11x14 as well. 1.5 oz SEL to 30 oz H2O. This keeps for quite a while.... so store it in a bottle and you are good to go.

Thats what I'm talking about.. So this works for you?

Todd

Yes, it does. I'm a bit confused as to why you are asking this question though. It's just a ratio and you need enough to immerse the print. Other than that, it's all what you want. I just tone until I get the look I want.

I tried 1:40 first. It was WAY too slow and changes so gradual, I didn't see it change. 1:20 seems to be a good compromise for general toning. If I really want a deep toning (which is rare), I use my 1:5 mix.
    Develop, stop, fix.... wait.... where's my film?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    There are a number of recipes for selenium toner out there, both the direct and the bleach-redevelop variety. They all call for elemental selenium, which is difficult, poisonous, and hard to obtain.

Dassonville T-7 selenium toner (Flemish Toner)
    Solution A - Bleach
    Potassium ferricyanide 30 g
    Potassium bromide 30 g
    WTM 1 l
    Solution B - Redeveloper
    Sodium sulfide 40 g
    Selenium (powder) 1 g
    WTM 1 l
    Dissolve the sodium sulfide completely, then add the selenium and heat until dissolved.
    Use the bleach full strength. Bleach the print completely.
    Dilute the redeveloper 1:10 for use. Redevelop until the desired tone is reached. Wash for one hour after toning.

Kodak T-55 Selenium Toner
    Hot water 750 ml
    Sodium sulfite (anh) 150 g
    Selenium powder 6 g
    Ammonium chloride 190 g
    WTM 1 l
    Dissolve the sulfite in the hot water, then add the selenium. Boil the solution for about 30 minutes, then filter off any undissolved residue. Cool, add ammonium chloride, and dilute to 1 liter.
    Dilute 1:5 for use. Tone 10 to 15 minutes at 20C depending on tone desired. Tone becomes a bit colder on drying.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Apparently, OP is asking more of "how do I dilute Kodak Rapid Selenium and how do I use it" question than how do I mix my own selenium toner from scratch.
    Develop, stop, fix.... wait.... where's my film?

Shooter
    35mm
    Hello,
    here is a formulation very similar to KRST:

dist. water: 56 ml
    Ammoniumthiosulfate: 27 g
    Sodiumsulfite, anhydr.: 15 g
    Sodiumselenite (Na2SeO3): 2 g (Caution, very toxic!!)

Dilution same as KRST, see Kodak publication G-23.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin