Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,059   Posts: 1,561,600   Online: 795

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    Medium Format

Selenium Reciepe

Hey Guys,

I don't remember if I posted this.. I'll ask again. Any body know a reliable reciepe for Sel toner? Liqued Oz would be great. Example: 1 oz Sel to 32 oz Water.. ect

ToddB

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I don't know of anyone who makes their own since it lasts a long time, can be reused, is quite nasty. Are the ingredients obtainable where you live?
    www.vinnywalsh.com

I know what I want but I just don't know how to go about gettin' it.-Hendrix

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Selenium Reciepe

When you buy selenium toner, the bottle will have dilution directions. If somehow you have some without directions, go to Ilford's site and get the tech sheet for their selenium toner.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    It is diluted according to what one wants it to do, and how one wants to do it. So no single answer.

For toning negs, it is used 1 to 3, give or take a couple, and for paper, 1 to 10 and up to 1 to 16...give or take a few.
    At least with LF landscape, a bad day of photography can still be a good day of exercise.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I am not sure what you mean by a "reliable recipe." Ultimate results depends on paper and how much depends on dilution, time, freshness, and temperature. You can tone as little or as much as you want.

I use Kodak Selenium toner at 1:5 and 1:20. I found 1:40 way too slow.

My papers are various types of Ilford and Adorama house brand.

With 1:5, I watch very closely from the moment paper hits the solution. With 1:20, I see no obvious change for 2 minutes or so then it really starts to take off at around 4 minutes mark. Which dilution I use depends on how far I plan to tone and how much control I need.

Does that help at all?
    Develop, stop, fix.... wait.... where's my film?

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Little more specific.. for paper. The mixture is a little confusing on bottle. I believe it's like 1 part Sel and 20 parts water. whats that shake out in fluid oz? I didn't know if you guys had a good solid mixture that you use without staining print and had the desired look you looking for.

ToddB

Shooter
    Medium Format
    There is a recipe in which Se powder is dissolved in hot sodium sulphite solution, and then ammonium chloride is added. It is apparently a dangerous procedure because Se is poisonous. Look for Dassonville T-55 formula.

I have read that it's very difficult to get all of the Se to dissolve. The diluted toner is said to not keep well, but other reports say that if diluted in hypo, it lasts well. I haven't tried it.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Todd,

Which brand of selenium toner do you have? I have the Fotospeed one, I can take a look at the label if it's useful to you. Dilution probably varies between brands.

Cheers,
    kevs
    testing...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by ToddB View Post
    Little more specific.. for paper. The mixture is a little confusing on bottle. I believe it's like 1 part Sel and 20 parts water. whats that shake out in fluid oz? I didn't know if you guys had a good solid mixture that you use without staining print and had the desired look you looking for.

ToddB

It's just a ratio.

If you are going to tone 8x10 in a suitable tray, for example, you'll want about 16 oz of working solution. (that's 500cc for metric folks) This isn't very critical.... If I were you, I'll take 1 oz of the selenium solution and mix in 20 oz of water.

Personally, I make 32 oz working solution as I tone 11x14 as well. 1.5 oz SEL to 30 oz H2O. This keeps for quite a while.... so store it in a bottle and you are good to go.
    Develop, stop, fix.... wait.... where's my film?

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I'm using Kodak in liquid form.

Todd

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin