Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,870   Posts: 1,583,307   Online: 1123

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: self-brewhc110

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

self-brewhc110

is anyoneaware of a self-brew formula for hc110?
    Regards

Ralph W. Lambrecht
    www.darkroomagic.comrorrlambrec@ymail.com[/URL]
    www.waybeyondmonochrome.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I don't know of any. Presumably one could be formulated that approximated or matched its working properties, but home-brewing the formula itself is likely difficult. It apparently contains several iminodiethanol compounds ("ammonia-based forms of sulfite and bromide" according to Anchell/Troop), and Polyvinylpyrrolidone. Not sure how easy these are to obtain. Gerald Kock, PE, Ian Grant could probably provide more info/guidance.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Sorry just not practical. HC-110 is a very unusual developer in that it contains no water. It contains a mixture of amines and glycols which act as the solvents. Some of these chamicals were manufactured by Kodak just for this developer. Even if you were somehow able to get the necessary chemcals you would still need some specialized equipment to make it.
    Last edited by Gerald C Koch; 01-04-2013 at 09:57 AM. Click to view previous post history.
    A rock pile ceases to be a rock pile the moment a single man contemplates it, bearing within him the image of a cathedral.

~Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by RalphLambrecht View Post
    is anyoneaware of a self-brew formula for hc110?
    There is a formula in the Film Developing Cookbook by Steve Anchell & Bill Troop.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    No there isn't. They present the patent formula that is or approximates HC-110. But that formula contains the amines and glycols referred to above. A home-brew would have to be formulated to approximate HC-110's working properties using readily available compounds. Likely not worth the effort anyway since HC-110 is a long lasting general purpose formula.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    yes,sorry, just found it. i have trouble with reding book indexes,but many thanks anyway.
    Regards

Ralph W. Lambrecht
    www.darkroomagic.comrorrlambrec@ymail.com[/URL]
    www.waybeyondmonochrome.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael R 1974 View Post
    Likely not worth the effort anyway since HC-110 is a long lasting general purpose formula.
    I don't clearly understand, and it would be interesting to learn, what some of the "weird" chemicals in the HC-110 patent formula are there for. It seems to me, as a rank amateur, that one should be able to *approximate* the behavior of HC-110 by using the same levels of developing agents in an organic solvent (glycol, TEA, etc.---I seem to remember that HC-110 itself uses some form of glycol), adjusting the pH to match, and introducing a similar antifoggant (I think that's the PVP in the original formula, but there are plenty of other antifoggants that could be tried). That doesn't sound too formidable, and I wonder how much it would differ in practice from the real thing.

-NT
    Nathan Tenny
    San Diego, CA, USA

The lady of the house has to be a pretty swell sort of person to put up with the annoyance of a photographer.
    -The Little Technical Library, _Developing, Printing, And Enlarging_

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    I think Michael's point is that HC-110 is inexpensive, readily available and produces results very similar to D-76...so, why bother? (eg if you wanna home brew something mix up some D-76 and have at it).

Shooter
    Multi Format
    That's pretty much what I was getting at. For those who just enjoy the work involved in re-creating a given formula, and enjoy mixing their own chemicals, I have no argument against it. Go for it.

What I meant in the specific case of HC-110 is that some of the other reasons normally given for home brewing don't really apply: Sometimes you can save money by home mixing a clone, sometimes its a pain to mix too much (5 liters of XTOL for example), sometimes you want to recreate the particular properties of a developer no longer commercially available, and sometimes you want to create something with a longer shelf life. However in the case of HC-110, it's cheap, lasts a hell of a long time, and there's nothing very special about it. So it seems like it would be a monumental effort to make a clone without much reason behind it.

ath
    Shooter
    35mm
    Regards,
    Andreas

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin