Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,565   Posts: 1,545,336   Online: 949

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I didn't expect a consensus one way or another but I'm surprised to find everyone on the opposite side of what seems to be the general consensus. (maybe a good time to bring up how much I like Ken Rockwell?)

Shooter
    35mm
    I have just re-examined John Garrett's book "Black and White Photography Masterclass" The vast majority of the prints are from HP5+ 135 film negs, many of which were developed in Microphen and rated at 800

I have seen smaller golf balls than the grain he gets Of course I am judging on print reproduction in a book and I am not a fan of grain in the main but if you are then this isn't a bad combo.

My own experience with Rodinal and HP5+ is limited and based on its grain will remain that way but I'd say it would meet most users' definition of "grain"

pentaxuser

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Well, I think what you have here is a slightly non-representative sample overall, but it still should give you an indication that HP5 and rodinal can be used to achieve a variety of results, and that you have to play around to find what you like. I make a point of defining my end use clearly. If you are going to scan, you will have a different outcome to darkroom printing. My own results (that are of course scanner hardware and software dependent) lean towards very nice darkroom prints, not so nice scans, for HP5+ at EI 400 with Rodinal 1:50 at 11 min, which I think is sort of middle of the road. My results for the other Ilford films follow the same pattern, with FP4 maybe the one I prefer most in Rodinal. I print up to 9,5 x 12 inches from HP5 35mm negatives, and the grain is not bothersome for me. Your preferences may be different, though. I have seldom found a beautiful photograph (by myself or others) taken on fast film, where I wished it had less grain. Somewhere in the equation of evaluating the impact of a great photograph, grain just falls by the wayside. I think our minds cannot process more information than what ISO 400 film can record. Of course you can print large and then put your nose to the print, but when you look at the image as a whole, that's about where it cuts out. It is maybe the equivalent of 6 MP in digital terms. Someone will have the real numbers, so don't hold me to them. This is just my gut impression.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by horacekenneth View Post
    I didn't expect a consensus one way or another but I'm surprised to find everyone on the opposite side of what seems to be the general consensus. (maybe a good time to bring up how much I like Ken Rockwell?)
    Well, I like Ken as well, his photos not so much

And I don't like HP5+ in Rodinal, but now when everybody says to try it at ASA 800 - I will give it a try

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Tri-X (box speed) in Aculux 1+9 has nice looking grain

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    HP5 in Rodinal looks to me like 1970s photojournalism. The grain is obvious, but not large or ugly. I think it's a good look.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Thanks Michael. I just posted a quick comparison of my results with HP5 vs TX both at 800 in Rodinal. (in the same section of the forum) Won't be sure until I print them but right now I really like the HP5 at 800.

Athiril, I've seen you post that picture before, it is really nice.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin