Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,922   Posts: 1,556,609   Online: 1271

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    35mm

HP5 and Rodinal for grain?

So HP5 and rodinal produces lots of grain and nobody likes it - understood. What if I'm looking for lots of pronounced grain? Still bad or is it what I want?

thanks
    Horace

Edit: If you do like the combo - I'd be very interested in hearing why. I've been reading lots of posts about HP5 and rodinal being bad because of grain and I've been (with difficulty) trying to reverse engineer what they didn't like (I'm trying to get grain...)
    Last edited by horacekenneth; 01-04-2013 at 10:11 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    HP5+ at EI 800 in Rodinal isn't so grainy, but what's there is beautiful.

I recommend trying the film at different speeds and developing times to find your ideal print. Nobody else can tell you what you want. What's grainy to one person is not to another. Perception is everything.
    "Often moments come looking for us". - Robert Frank

"Make good art!" - Neil Gaiman

"...the heart and mind are the true lens of the camera". - Yousuf Karsh

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Who said nobody likes it? It's a completely subjective matter.

You can't say it is "bad". It might be "bad" if someone wants finer grain or a different kind of tonality. But that's all.

If you want pronounced, reasonably sharp grain, there is no reason not to try HP5 with Rodinal, experiment with it and decide for yourself if you like how it looks (that includes tonality, speed etc - there is a lot more to a film/developer combination than graininess).

Shooter
    Medium Format
    HP5 and Rodinal? Love it! Granted, I don't shoot much 35mm so maybe that is where the majority of the complaints come from. Who knows.

All I know is I've never been a photographer who is afraid of grain. I tend to embrace it and find it quite attractive in the right context. HP5 and rodinal is a lovely combination if you ask me. I shoot it at box speed typically, and develope 1:50 for 11 minutes just slightly cold (around 67-66 degrees) to keep the contrast down. Works wonderfully for me.

Images
    I love the look of HP5+ and Rodinal.

Shooter
    35mm
    Thanks for chiming in in defense of the combo - if you'd explain why I'm trying to put feelers out there to see if I'm heading in the right direction to get pronounced grain.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    HP5+ and Rodinal does not equal grain. It's how you develop it. Look at this for an ei of 3200 http://www.flickr.com/photos/peterbc...57622674774965 . Anyone using rodinal for any length of time has a tecnique to give them any look they want.

1) swirl your "cup" gently like a fine wine to control your highlights.
    2) develop over 10 minutes for lower contrast and finer grain
    3) develop under 5 minutes for sharpness and finer apperence of detail - with more grain
    Get it right in the camera, the first time...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

HP5 and Rodinal for grain?

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Bertilsson View Post
    HP5+ at EI 800 in Rodinal isn't so grainy, but what's there is beautiful.
    Agree! I used to not like HP5+ in Rodinal shooting at 200-400. Just seemed to lack some sort of "snap" for me. Saw a post here of some people trying it and loving it at 800 (and compensating for such in developing times). I first I thought, "Wha'? Many say its "true speed" is more like 200-250, how can it look good at 800? And in Rodinal?" Then I tried it. Love it.
    -----------------------

"Well, my photos are actually much better than they look..."

Richard S.
    Albany, CA (San Francisco bay area)

My Flickr River of photographs
    http://flickriver.com/photos/rich815...r-interesting/

My Photography Website
    http://www.lightshadowandtone.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    This combo worked for me. If someone needs finer grain than this, it's out there. If someone wants a different look than this combo, it's out there. HP-5 & Rodinal is what it is.

If you want some grain, try Delta 3200, 35mm, in Rodinal.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Years ago, it use to be you wanted to reduce or eliminate grain. Panatomic-X, Technical Pan, T-Max. The first two are long gone.

Now its used to give a certain look and is desirable. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.
    Items for sale or trade at www.Camera35.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin