Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,529   Posts: 1,543,961   Online: 1069

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Shooter
    35mm
    For 120, the AP (arista, Sagamon, etc) "compact" reels have a wide "table" at the entrance to help guide the film. This is not on the "classic" reels. Both work with the Paterson tanks. As others have mentioned the 120 film is so thin that it can be hard to feed stright.

The Jobo 1500 reels are a bit less likly to stick than the paptersons, and because of the design you can guide the film with your fingers using the Deperssion in the side of the reel. They need the JOBO 1500 series tanks. Both have been out of production, but should be back in stores soon. They are more expensive.

Stainless is great to load if you hold your mouth just right. The world of Photography is equally divided between those who swear by them and those that swear at them. If you have the knack they will work wet or dry and load much quicker than any of the plastc reels.

Myself I used the JOBO for 35mm and the Compact AP reels in an old style paterson Tank for 120 as my first choice.
    Charles MacDonald
    aa508@ncf.ca
    I still live just beyond the fringe in Stittsville

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    To the OP:

Did you try practicing with the Paterson reels before you used them?

I use the AP/Samigon/Arista reels with the wider flanges for 120, either in an AP tank or a Paterson tank.

For 35mm I prefer steel reels, but am comfortable with either the AP or Paterson plastic reels.

I do check that the ball bearings move freely before I load each plastic reel.
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I use Paterson reels for both 35mm and 120 film but, rather than ratcheting the film, I push it on - very easy, no buckling and no cursing

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Molli View Post
    I use Paterson reels for both 35mm and 120 film but, rather than ratcheting the film, I push it on - very easy, no buckling and no cursing
    Likewise. However I 've never tried it with 120 yet. I find this works 100% of the time with 24 exp. 35mm, but bogs a bit toward the end of 36 exp. rolls and have to crank the last few frames.
    WYSIWYG - At least that's my goal.

Portfolio-http://apug.org/forums/portfolios.php?u=25518

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I was not advocating or pushing SS reels and for many years I used a Paterson tank and adjustable ratchet reels. What I am advocating is that if you are going the SS route then make sure to spend a little more and try to get Hewes reels. I do mainly 120 and my film just seems to flow onto the reel. No joke! And no sweat drops on my film from struggling to get the damn thing loaded right. I used to end up with crescent half-moons from pinching/buckling and unprocessed spots from film sticking together. Not anymore! I also have the twin hook style 35mm Hewes reels, but I find them just a little harder for me. Of course it could be from me not doing 35mm very often. JohnW

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin