Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,221   Posts: 1,532,328   Online: 1046

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm RF

Paterson plastic reels causing buckling?

I developed two 120 TriX films using the Paterson plastic reels (twist to wind film) and the films had what looked like buckling marks.

Is this typical?

Or did I do something wrong? Twist too hard to wind on the film?

I thought I was gentle, although I had to fight with one film to get it on the reel.

No issues with a third film that I developed using the standard steel reel.

...Vick

Shooter
    Multi Format
    In my experience, plastic reels need to be clean and perfectly dry. If they are not, the film will stick and buckle as you try to load it on the reel.

Also, check the little ball bearings under the lips. If they are sticky, they can cause problems. Burrs on the edges of the reels can cause problems, too.

Other than that, check to see that your film isn't curled too much and that it goes on straight and true. This can be a problem with 120 film because of the width between the reel flanges.
    Randy S.

In girum imus nocte et consumimur igni.

-----

http://www.flickr.com/photos/randystankey/

Shooter
    Multi Format

RE: Paterson plastic reels causing buckling?

Same here. New to developing having developed about 15 rolls of 120 and 35mm. It seems like the little balls that support the ratcheting action get stuck. Obviously since I can't see what is going on I can't be sure. Anyone have any foolproof tips for using these reels that you could share with us fools?
    Sent from my PI86100 using Board Express
    My flickr stream

Shooter
    Multi Format
    After using I separate the reels into two pieces, rinse both out thoroughly in warm running water then leave the pieces to air-dry. I've never had trouble with buckling, with either 35mm or 120 film. I think what's important here is to keep guck from building up on the little balls. I bought the reels new and always cleaned them this way.
    Also important is to make sure the reels are correctly loaded. If you feel any resistance at all, pull out the film carefully and re-load. The film has to advance smoothly and easily right up to the end.
    I've always found steel reels difficult to load properly, but that's just me.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by rbultman View Post
    It seems like the little balls that support the ratcheting action get stuck. Obviously since I can't see what is going on I can't be sure. Anyone have any foolproof tips for using these reels that you could share with us fools?
    Yes. As Randy said, they have to be perfectly clean and dry. And then you cannot force the film - it needs to feed easily. Both plastic and steel reels take practice. One is not better or worse than the other, they are different, but you have to learn and gain experience to load either one.

EDIT: Tessar and I hit the send button at the same time.
    David
    Taking pictures is easy. Making photographs is hard.

http://www.behance.net/silverdarkroom
    http://silverdarkroom.wordpress.com

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Or use the Jobo-type reels. Kind of "handmade" ratchet; no balls. Kind of fail-safe in this context.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Plastic reels are perfect for 35mm, not so much for 120. I greatly prefer the stainless steel reels for 120, and even then you need to be careful about where the film bends at the start, or you can easily leave a crescent mark on a good neg.

That being said, when using plastic, photo flo is great for drying, so after removing your negs from the PhotoFlo, don't rinse the reels, just shake them off really well and set them out to dry. If you need them again right away, use the hair dryer. Even the tiniest bit of water will cause mad stickage.
    Parker Smith Photography, Inc.
    Atlanta, GA

Commercial & Fine Art Photography
    Portrait Photography

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Thanks. I'm tossing the reels and going stainless steel reels. Never had an issue with stainless steel, and quite frankly, I find them easier to load.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by ParkerSmithPhoto View Post
    That being said, when using plastic, photo flo is great for drying, so after removing your negs from the PhotoFlo, don't rinse the reels, just shake them off really well and set them out to dry.
    On other thread about film sticking every APUGer( you may be the exception that proves the rule) seems to say the opposite i.e, it is photo flo that is the culprit and you need to get rid of it by either taking the film off the reel for application of photo flo or vigorously clean the reels after subjecting them to photo flo

pentaxuser

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    You probably did this, but it 's worth noting, the two starting points on the reels "must" be adjacent to one another. Even if off slightly, you 're going to have problems.
    WYSIWYG - At least that's my goal.

Portfolio-http://apug.org/forums/portfolios.php?u=25518

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin