Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,547   Posts: 1,573,009   Online: 861

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm RF

D-76 or XTOL for Tri-X

I am just starting to get back into film. It has been about 14 years since I last processed film and from memory, I used D-76 for Tri-X (which I used to push to 1600). From what I gather XTOL is a newer version? Should I be looking to this for developing Tri-x (from 400-3200) and Delta 3200 from 3200 up. Thoughts?

Shooter
    35mm
    Either

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

D-76 or XTOL for Tri-X

Both are better
    -----------------------

"Well, my photos are actually much better than they look..."

Richard S.
    Albany, CA (San Francisco bay area)

My Flickr River of photographs
    http://flickriver.com/photos/rich815...r-interesting/

My Photography Website
    http://www.lightshadowandtone.com

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Just have to try both then! Will probably start off with the old trusted, so I at least restart from the same baseline. Cheers both

Shooter
    35mm
    Xtol is a newer product, but from what I've read Kodak isn't making it any more, so you'd have to look for alternatives. D-76 is the old standby, the old standard, and lots of companies have similar products. You can develop film in things as bizarre as coffee and urine, so you certainly won't lack for options.
    In life you only get one great dog, one great car, and one great woman. Pet the dog. Drive the car. Make love to the woman. Don't mix them up.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Perhaps higher accutance with xtol than with d-76----I hope to find out soon myself as I have an order of xtol on the way.

Shooter
    35mm
    Xtol is still manufactured by Kodak. It has NOT been discontinued.
    An alternative to both Xtol and D76 would be T-max developer, a very underrated developer imho.
    Last edited by Alessandro Serrao; 01-06-2013 at 07:06 PM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: typo

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Both are excellent and the differences are small. XTOL is a little more of a pain to mix due to the minimum 5L packaging. Some people prefer replenished regimes. I prefer to use developers one-shot.

XTOL will tend to give slightly higher film speed than D-76. But it is difficult to generalize as it depends on the film. Acutance is virtually the same, but again this could vary depending on the film. XTOL seems to give slightly finer grain, but my tests were all with tabular films so I don't have data for Tri-X specifically.

With the tabular films I tested XTOL generally produced slightly higher contrast in the shadow area of the curve, with slightly flatter highlights, compared with D-76. I prefer either D-76 or XTOL at dilutions of 1+1 or 1+3. 1+1 is probably the most common dilution, at least for D-76.

Again, the differences are small.

TMax developer will tend to give a little more film speed with the tradeoff of slightly higher graininess.

These characateristics apply to normal development procedures. When pushing, all bets are off as far as image characteristics go.
    Last edited by Michael R 1974; 01-06-2013 at 07:00 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Alessandro Serrao View Post
    Xtol is still manufactured by Kodak. It has NOT been discontinued.
    An alternative to both Xtol and D76 would be T-max developer, a very underrated developer imho.
    Well, it's gone from two local stores here that used to carry it (they now only carry D-76) and I've read online that Kodak is discontinuing it. Not for any sane reason though, it still makes them money, even though it's a Kodak product in name only. Made by a 3rd party under more than just the Kodak banner. So in actuality, Kodak hasn't made it in years.
    In life you only get one great dog, one great car, and one great woman. Pet the dog. Drive the car. Make love to the woman. Don't mix them up.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    D-76 and Tri-X is, of course, the classic combination. Although XTOL has been my favorite lately, I am currently working through a bag of D-76 that I found in the back of my shelf and am developing a renewed fondness for D-76 1:1.

You won't go wrong with either. Replenished XTOL is very nice. However, if you don't want to deal with the 5L quantity, than go with the D-76.

(BTW, XTOL is NOT a new D-76. It's a totally different developer basic on ascobic acid and dimezone.)
    All this has happened before, and all this will happen again.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin