Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,498   Posts: 1,543,096   Online: 1070

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images

lith bleach formulas and some experiments

I was doing some experiments over the weekend to dry to reduce the warm tone in some lith prints. I bleached them back in CuSO4/sulfuric acid bleach and found that when I redeveloped in lith, it came up nearly immediately and the tones were much closer to neutral.....like a warmtone conventional print. That made me think about the effect of the rehalogenating agent in the bleach. Most call for Potassium bromide, but can NaCl also be used as a direct substitute? I'd think the resulting redeveloped prints would be a bit warmer than they might otherwise. I'll give it a try in a few days if no one speaks up.

Thanks -- Mark
    Your first 10,000 pictures are the worst - HCB

www.markjamesfisher.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I can't answer to what will happen on a lith-treated print, but I do have a reference to a Sodium Chloride/Potassium Ferricyanide bleach as giving warmer tones. This is for sepia toning, nominally. 6.6g Sodium Chloride to 35g Potassium Ferricyanide made up to 1l.

(Creative Elements, Ephraums E., Amphoto 1993)
    I feel, therefore I photograph.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    That seems to make sense to me......definitely worth a try. Why use expensive KBr when I can use table salt!
    Your first 10,000 pictures are the worst - HCB

www.markjamesfisher.com

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Note that 30 g/l Sodium Chloride are supposedly used in Microdol X as silver solvent! While AgCl is poorly soluble (but still a lot more soluble than AgBr or AgI), there are quite soluble Silver Chloride complexes which will become more of an issue as you increase Chloride level.
    Trying to be the best of whatever I am, even if what I am is no good.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin