Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,549   Posts: 1,544,624   Online: 722

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    In order to compare the films, you have to develop them to the same contrast index, preferably of the same scene. It takes a lot more than one roll of each to decide any real difference.
    Since HP5+ is naturally a little bit lower in contrast than Tri-X, you have to adjust developing time, agitation and so on to compensate for that. YOU control the final contrast of the negative; it's a matter of working with your materials until you have the results you need. Get the final negative contrast the same in both films, and you will have a much better idea of what each film does, both from a tonality and grain standpoint. Print the negatives, at the same contrast grade. Adjust film developing time until both types of film print with similar contrast on the same paper.
    "Often moments come looking for us". - Robert Frank

"Make good art!" - Neil Gaiman

"...the heart and mind are the true lens of the camera". - Yousuf Karsh

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Some said Rodinal like low temp < 20°C(~ 18°C) and longer development times(no stand development)...
    OM-1n: Do I need to own a Leica?
    Rolleicord Va: Humble.
    Holga 120GFN: Amazingly simple yet it produces outstanding negatives to print.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I only have little experiance with TriX, and from that I prefer HP5+. It's easy to get EI 1600 from HP5+ f.e. in Emofin or 800 - 1600 in Caffenol-C-L.

#1 HP5+, EI 1600, Emofin 10 + 10 minutes 20 °C constant agitation.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	hp5+1.jpg 
Views:	97 
Size:	170.5 KB 
ID:	62285

#2 HP5+, EI 1600, Caffenol-C-L 75 minutes 20 °C semi-stand development

Name:	hp5+2.jpg 
Views:	102 
Size:	107.3 KB 
ID:	62286

I like Rodinal, but it is probably one of the worst choices available for this purpose. 24 °C? No go.

Best - Reinhold

PS: negative scan with Canoscan 8800F and Vuescan
    Last edited by grommi; 01-07-2013 at 12:31 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images

HP5

Hp5 is a far superior film for pushing. Though every developer will produce different result, and it will be best if you use the best suited developer for each film, HP5 usually wins out in most cases. http://www.dr5.com/graphics/hp51000aad1.jpg

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Grommi,
    may I ask the lens you used for the second headshot. The lens is giving a very nice look for portrait/tight shots

Quote Originally Posted by grommi View Post
    I only have little experiance with TriX, and from that I prefer HP5+. It's easy to get EI 1600 from HP5+ f.e. in Emofin or 800 - 1600 in Caffenol-C-L.

#1 HP5+, EI 1600, Emofin 10 + 10 minutes 20 °C constant agitation.

Name:	hp5+1.jpg 
Views:	97 
Size:	170.5 KB 
ID:	62285

#2 HP5+, EI 1600, Caffenol-C-L 75 minutes 20 °C semi-stand development

Name:	hp5+2.jpg 
Views:	102 
Size:	107.3 KB 
ID:	62286

I like Rodinal, but it is probably one of the worst choices available for this purpose. 24 °C? No go.

Best - Reinhold

PS: negative scan with Canoscan 8800F and Vuescan

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by brucemuir View Post
    Grommi,
    may I ask the lens you used for the second headshot. The lens is giving a very nice look for portrait/tight shots
    I'd say it looks like a 135mm f2.8 Rokkor lens?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by dr5chrome View Post
    Hp5 is a far superior film for pushing. Though every developer will produce different result, and it will be best if you use the best suited developer for each film, HP5 usually wins out in most cases. http://www.dr5.com/graphics/hp51000aad1.jpg
    For conventional developers it usually is. I like Tri-X in Diafine though. EI 1000-1250. If that's fast enough, that's what I use. If it isn't fast enough it's time for D3200 (or my remaining stock of TMZ.)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I have a slightly off topic question...

I find the cupping of Tri-X ( Arista Premium ) to be a real pain, is HP-5 better in this regard, in terms of lying flat?

K-G
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by PKM-25 View Post
    I have a slightly off topic question...

I find the cupping of Tri-X ( Arista Premium ) to be a real pain, is HP-5 better in this regard, in terms of lying flat?
    Yes ! At least according to my exprience.

Karl-Gustaf
    Karl-Gustaf Hellqvist

www.heliochroma.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    HP5 at 800 in Rodinal is one of my favorite looks. Delightful tonality and quite tight grain.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin