Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,901   Posts: 1,584,491   Online: 945

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by PDH View Post
    Not just the "big auction sites" I saw a roll of 110 out dated of Fuji color for $19.00 on a online store and today on C list someone is selling a K1000 with a couple of 3rd party lenss for $300. Last year someone was asking $1000 for a Konica T 4 with winder and 3 lens, I called the seller and asked what was her thought process was, the kit was worth $125 to $150, she told me that she knew that but if someone was willing to pay her $1000 she would take it. I dont know if her ever sold it, never saw it posted again.
    Sounds like one smart lady to me. People used to use me and other dealers to value their photo equipment that they wanted to sell. I finally got smart when they would ask, "what's this worth"? I'd finally just say to them, "whatever you can get" and leave it at that. Remember what P.T Barnum said, "There's a sucker born every minute". At least I think he said it. I also think he is way off for our time. More like a sucker born every1/2 sec........JohnW

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I'M SHOCKED... NO, REALLY SHOCKED... AT SOME PEOPLES' VULNERABILITY... YEAH, REALLY SHOCKED. Okay... I'm not shocked at all. Some people are just stoopid.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I remember getting a metric shit-ton of expired film on e-big many years ago when I was on less than a shoestring budget with photography. There used to be deals to be had, but today they are rare to come across. Mostly it's just either junk, and some people just LOVE to experiment with old film due to a certain unpredictability, as if there is some sort of cool factor in doing so. I have no problems with that at all.
    But it is really funny to watch some of the prices on FRESH film. That's the part I don't understand either. But more power to the re-sellers for getting more money than their merchandise is actually worth. That's pretty smart, if you ask me.
    Plus, don't overlook the thrill that people get from bidding on an item, and beating somebody else to the punch. That might be worth a few extra dollars to some.
    "Often moments come looking for us". - Robert Frank

"Make good art!" - Neil Gaiman

"...the heart and mind are the true lens of the camera". - Yousuf Karsh

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I don't know if that's the case here, but there is also a possibility of price difference across localities. For example, someone sells a roll of film for $20 with free shipping. If you live in US, that would be considered a silly price to pay, since you can buy it from magnitude of retailers for half that. However if you live in some distant place like East Africa where film is simply unavailable locally, or available for $30 or more, then $20 with free shipping becomes a bargain price. Once again, I don't know if that's the case here, but it is a real possibility.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I have FRESH, IN DATE, ALWAYS FROZEN Ektar 100 4x5 on eBay right now for $24.50 per box with CHEAP SHIPPING. No buyers. Go figure.....

Maybe I should keep it until it's 10 years OOD and then sell it for twice the money??

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Its certainly a mix. The site brought motorbike parts back into sane prices though. There was a time that we had breakers in the UK selling second hand parts for more than the list price of new parts. I even called one, told them the list price and asked if they wanted to make a sensible deal....they hung up on me!
    Some people just don't know the value of things. Some things go for nothing, some things way over the odds. I have sold items in auctions that fit into both categories.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Old-N-Feeble View Post
    I have FRESH, IN DATE, ALWAYS FROZEN Ektar 100 4x5 on eBay right now for $24.50 per box with CHEAP SHIPPING. No buyers. Go figure.....

Maybe I should keep it until it's 10 years OOD and then sell it for twice the money??
    If you keep it frozen and you don't need the space I'm sure it will increase in value when you can't get it anywhere. I had some old (in the little foil pouches) TechPan developer stashed away for whatever reason. That was until I saw what they were going for on eBay. Needless to say I don't have them anymore. About 8 mos. ago I was in a local camera store a saw a full box of the stuff for $3.00 so I bought it. When I checked out the clerk looked at me a little funny and ask what I was going to use it on and I said some Fuji Acros, which I was buying also. He just smerked and I smerked all the way out the door. Oh, I did ask if he had anymore of the stuff and he said he didn't even know where they found that one. I actually sold all of mine to a fellow in Aussie land and he was very happy to get it.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    It appears that all you have to do to double the selling price is include the words Lomo and expired in the description.

Steve.
    "People who say things won't work are a dime a dozen. People who figure out how to make things work are worth a fortune" - Dave Rat.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    LOL!! So all I need to do to attract the ladies is to label my LOMO as OOD? DONE!!!!!!!!!!

Shooter
    35mm
    Some folks may pay a premium to get a film that is not available in their local market. For example ILFORD make a Pan100 and Pan 400 that are only sold in a few places. If you REALLY gatta Try it, you have to either visit one of those places or buy from a dealer.

As Far as the Shanghai Seagull GP-3 is is actually not bad film. I have a shanghai Seagul TLR and it is the only film that transports corectly in that camera. The Camera designer counted on the extremely rough texture of the GP3 backing Paper. I do suspect that the Shanghai Film is packed by hand. The rolls are sealed with what looks like Masking tape with a rubber stamped "seal" of a couple of Chineese Charactters.

I still have a few rolls of ERA in 135, but understand that no more will be forthcoming.
    Charles MacDonald
    aa508@ncf.ca
    I still live just beyond the fringe in Stittsville

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin