Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,475   Posts: 1,570,987   Online: 842

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by cmacd123 View Post
    Some folks may pay a premium to get a film that is not available in their local market. For example ILFORD make a Pan100 and Pan 400 that are only sold in a few places. If you REALLY gatta Try it, you have to either visit one of those places or buy from a dealer.

As Far as the Shanghai Seagull GP-3 is is actually not bad film. I have a shanghai Seagul TLR and it is the only film that transports corectly in that camera. The Camera designer counted on the extremely rough texture of the GP3 backing Paper. I do suspect that the Shanghai Film is packed by hand. The rolls are sealed with what looks like Masking tape with a rubber stamped "seal" of a couple of Chineese Charactters.

I still have a few rolls of ERA in 135, but understand that no more will be forthcoming.
    I haven't tried the Shanghai GP3 film yet, but with the price of Fuji Acros going up I suppose I will. I too, still have some ERA in 4x5 left and truly wish I would have known how good it was before it vanished. If I had there would have been a corner in my freezer occupied with it right now. I'm trying out the Arista EDU 120 films at the moment and might fine something there I like. JohnW

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I use GP3, and I've had a couple of packs that certainly seemed "hand rolled in the dark" - one roll had the emulsion side facing the backing paper.
    But it is quite incredibly cheap, even allowing for the odd roll going awry.
    I wouldn't use it if my living depended on it, but it doesn't, so I do. Nice tones, nice grain. I like it in Caffenol

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by pdeeh View Post
    I use GP3, and I've had a couple of packs that certainly seemed "hand rolled in the dark" - one roll had the emulsion side facing the backing paper.
    But it is quite incredibly cheap, even allowing for the odd roll going awry.
    I wouldn't use it if my living depended on it, but it doesn't, so I do. Nice tones, nice grain. I like it in Caffenol
    My living doesn't depend on any film anymore so I guess I can try it. I would really like to find a film as close to Kodaks old B&W VerichromePan film and that's why I'm looking into the Arista/Foma films, but I don't have my hopes set to high. Maybe GP3 is closer? I'll know after I try it, but I have 10 rolls of Arista EDU 100 in 120 to go through first. JohnW

Shooter
    35mm
    FYI, Silvermax and Rollei films are WAY cheaper at Maco in Germany than they are at Freestyle and B&H, even with shipping to USA. A 100 ft roll of 80S is about $72 at Freestyle, B&H doesn't have it in stock, but Maco has it for about 48 plus 10 shipping. Not that significant, but the reason I initially bought it from Maco was because they always have it in stock. I waited four months last year for Freestyle to get it back in stock. Then I happened upon Maco - in stock, cheaper.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by damonff View Post
    FYI, Silvermax and Rollei films are WAY cheaper at Maco in Germany than they are at Freestyle and B&H, even with shipping to USA. A 100 ft roll of 80S is about $72 at Freestyle, B&H doesn't have it in stock, but Maco has it for about 48 plus 10 shipping. Not that significant, but the reason I initially bought it from Maco was because they always have it in stock. I waited four months last year for Freestyle to get it back in stock. Then I happened upon Maco - in stock, cheaper.
    I'll have to check out Maco and see if they have what I need. I don't shoot much at all in mini-format(35mm) and use mostly 120 and 4x5 now. JohnW

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin