Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,765   Posts: 1,484,090   Online: 989

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Shooter
    Medium Format

Are some people crazy............?

Now, I'll be the first to admit that I'm not the sharpest pencil in the box. Actually I wouldn't be the first to admit that , my wife would and I'd just second it. But from what I have just noticed is that there are many, so called, dull pencils out there right along with me.
    I love film photography, but since my last name isn't Romney or Rockefeller I have to cut corners where I can to continue to do what I enjoy. So, I was over on the "BIG" auction site and thought I'd check into maybe buying some 120 B&W film cheap. Mainly for camera testing and just playing around. I couldn't believe the prices some people are paying for film there! They are paying as much for expired film as I buy new film for from Adorama, B&H or even Freestyle. What's wrong with these people? Haven't they ever heard of these places? Why would you gamble on a horse you've never seen race for one you know has been standing in the winners circle before. Needless to say I closed it down and went to Freestyle and bought a couple of bricks of Arista EDU 100 (Foma 100) and then went to Adorama and bought a brick of Acros. I would have bought it all from Freestyle, but I really don't like their price hike on Acros and was launching my own form of protest buy giving Adorama my Acros business. Besides, I come from farm country and the old saying is, "Money is like manure! It doesn't do any good unless you spread it around." I might check into buying some Chinese Shanghai film, but don't know much about its consistency. I did use some Chinese film called ERA, in 4x5, and really liked that, but I don't think this Shanghai film is the same. I guess I'll just keep trying to buy the best I can for the least money until I have my own film making/coating machine. JohnW

Shooter
    Multi Format
    You wouldn't be the first to be amazed at the prices people pay for some of the things they buy on auction sites. In many cases what they buy are still available new at lower prices as you have discovered and in some instances I think they are just trying to cash in on peoples ignorance (I think I saw a link somewhere here to someone who was selling empty 120 spools with a starting price of $9.95 or something like that).
    Just be grateful that you are not one of them.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I'm like you John, I am truely amazed at how insane it is to spend as much as some folks think their expired film is worth. If you are interrested, I shoot alot of Shanghai GP-3 120 format, love the stuff. I would let some go for a reasonable price. It is a tad curly, but I dont have any problem with that, I love the "old school" look it gives.
    Rick A
    Argentum aevum
    BTW: the big kid in my avatar is my hero, my son, who proudly serves us in the Navy. "SALUTE"

Shooter
    Medium Format
    [(I think I saw a link somewhere here to someone who was selling empty 120 spools with a starting price of $9.95 or something like that).
    Just be grateful that you are not one of them.[/QUOTE]

Yup, I'm smarter than that! If I need empty 120 film spools I'll just buy new film for less money a roll, strip the film/backin paper off and throw it away. Ha! Ha! Sounds like the Epson printer fiasco a few years back. The replacement ink was so expensive for one of their new printers that when people ran out of ink they were actually buying a new printer cheaper, stripping the ink cartridge's out that came with it and then selling the printer "as new" without the ink on the "BIG" auction. I remember seeing tons of those printers for sale there. Fact is I almost bought one until I used the Internet to research that model Epson. Thank God for the Net. JohnW

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Rick A View Post
    I'm like you John, I am truely amazed at how insane it is to spend as much as some folks think their expired film is worth. If you are interrested, I shoot alot of Shanghai GP-3 120 format, love the stuff. I would let some go for a reasonable price. It is a tad curly, but I dont have any problem with that, I love the "old school" look it gives.
    Well, if it's a film that's guaranteed/warranted and an emulsion you can't find, but desperately want? Yes, I might pay a little more, but the only film I truly miss is the old Kodak VerichromePan and I'm really getting by just fine without it to be very truthful. Do you have any experience with Foma 100 or 200 films? Is the Shanghai GP-3 anything like Foma 100? I really don't like curl, but I use glass carriers in my enlarger and Nikon scanner so I can make do. JohnW

Shooter
    Medium Format
    i second! a year or so ago you used to be able to buy 120 film for at least £5 less than new but now its even more. i can get ilford films for £3.48 per roll from ag photographic but on ebay you end up paying £6! just not worth it! the best bet is to find films that are finishing at strange times when people are either at work or in bed. then there will be less bidders.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Personally, I admit to being crazy, but I am careful with my money. And with my film. I only buy film from the local camera store and from New York. Film is too important to be cheap with. On the other hand, I recently lost a couple of lens caps. The NY place wanted 7.75 for the camera brand. I looked on the big auction site and found a guy selling the same caps for 3.25 with free shipping. I bought three of them. It pays to check around. And I ignore the film spools for 9.95. And by the way, I have a few I'm willing to let go of for 8.95 ....

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by mfohl View Post
    Personally, I admit to being crazy, but I am careful with my money. And with my film. I only buy film from the local camera store and from New York. Film is too important to be cheap with. On the other hand, I recently lost a couple of lens caps. The NY place wanted 7.75 for the camera brand. I looked on the big auction site and found a guy selling the same caps for 3.25 with free shipping. I bought three of them. It pays to check around. And I ignore the film spools for 9.95. And by the way, I have a few I'm willing to let go of for 8.95 ....
    Don't get me wrong, I LOVE TH BIG AUCTION! I just don't buy much film there. I used to be a camera/photo equipment dealer and know what good equipment used to cost. I have bought many fine pieces off eBay and will continue to do so, but I, like you, shop wisely. Oh, and I have some empty 120 spools I'll let go for $6.00 ea.. Heck, I'll even include free shipping if bought in lots of 15. Plus, I have a few small parcels of swamp land in Florida I could part with if you're really interested. Ha! Ha! Yes, for play older film might be fine, but not worth the risk for other stuff. JohnW

PDH

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Not just the "big auction sites" I saw a roll of 110 out dated of Fuji color for $19.00 on a online store and today on C list someone is selling a K1000 with a couple of 3rd party lenss for $300. Last year someone was asking $1000 for a Konica T 4 with winder and 3 lens, I called the seller and asked what was her thought process was, the kit was worth $125 to $150, she told me that she knew that but if someone was willing to pay her $1000 she would take it. I dont know if her ever sold it, never saw it posted again.

Shooter
    35mm
    Wait a minute! Surely everything on the big auction site is cheaper. That's why it's an auction site. It is clear that enough people believe that to sustain the prices. The same is true of the U.K e-bay in the film section. If buyers cannot be bothered to check out a range of retailers' prices and be wise to the ways of the market then I have to sadly conclude that they deserve to pay the prices asked.

pentaxuser

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin