Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,955   Posts: 1,558,034   Online: 1111

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I sometimes push, just to see what I'll end up with and for the experiment, I rarely push for necessity actually
    -
    "Nice picture, you must have an amazing camera."
    Visit my photography blog at: http://helino-photo.blogspot.com

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Bertilsson View Post
    It's a matter of a split second.
    I totally agree.

“The contemplation of things as they are, without error or confusion, without substitution or imposture, is in itself a nobler thing than a whole harvest of invention”

Francis Bacon

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I shoot box speed. I have not had a reason to push film, even to available light photography. It is a tool which I may have to use at some time, so I do not rule it out.
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by horacekenneth View Post
    I like the grain size and the tones more than anything else, the developer matters pretty strongly there as far as I understand.
    Replenished Xtol.
    "Often moments come looking for us". - Robert Frank

"Make good art!" - Neil Gaiman

"...the heart and mind are the true lens of the camera". - Yousuf Karsh

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    hi michael

im more of a pully photographer, i neverpush ...
    i don't really pull either now that i think about it, i just over expose 3-5 stops
    and develop as normal

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I like the fact that Kodak's recommendation for TMY is to use the same development for EI 400 and EI 800.

So when I am unsure of light levels, I will use 800 when necessary, and 400 when 800 isn't required, and avoid push development.

Unless of course the light is really flat, in which case I will develop longer, but that isn't a push, it is N+1 or N+2
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    In my tests with Delta 400 and DD-X and my metering techniques and my subjects and in my normal lighting situations I can shoot from EI 50 to EI 1600 without a change in development. So I don't change development unless I'm adjusting for a print.
    Mark Barendt, Beaverton, OR

"We do not see things the way they are. We see things the way we are." Anaïs Nin

Shooter
    Multi Format
    That's quite a range!

PDH

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by zsas View Post
    Many folks like avail light. Where press photog's back in the day using flash? I presume and that might explain the variance to some degree.
    Back in day depends on how far back in the day. In the 40s 50s and 60s flash was the norm, in the 40s and 50s flash bulbs later strobe. By the 60s available light was catching on, for some it was philosophic for other it was pragmatic. Early flash was very harsh, some like Weegee created a style using flash. When I was working in the 70s and early 80s I wanted to travel as light as possible, carrying a tripod and large strobe was not feasible. Also remember that shooting in the field the action was likely to be well out of range of flash and shutter sync was slow 1/60th . It was not uncommon to push tri-x to 800 or 1600, tri-x in the 70s was a different film than the tri-x we shoot today. Recording film had horrible grain, there was no T max until the mid-80s. I carried a quart kit of Dinafine and a packet of fixer to develop on location if needed. Flash made a comeback in the late 70s and 80s when newspapers and magazines moved from black and white to color. Strobe’s improved and with higher shutter speed sync and TTL we had much greater control. In today’s world I seldom push, I use TMax 3200, now Delta 3200.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael R 1974 View Post
    That's quite a range!
    Actually the range isn't abnormal. Think about the single use cameras you can get at the grocery store.

The reason I gave all the caveats is that everybody has different expectations, I am rarely too worried about the deep shadows or extreme highlights. My important subject matter normally has a fairly short scene brightness range in the middle.
    Mark Barendt, Beaverton, OR

"We do not see things the way they are. We see things the way we are." Anaïs Nin

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin