Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,537   Posts: 1,544,260   Online: 765

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael R 1974 View Post
    I guess aside from some kind of special effect, I've always thought of pushing (ie underexposing and overdeveloping) as a last resort.

Thoughts?
    you and me, both
    Regards

Ralph W. Lambrecht
    www.darkroomagic.comrorrlambrec@ymail.com[/URL]
    www.waybeyondmonochrome.com

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Pushing is my default in winter. I shoot in my dining room at f/4 1/60s @1250. I can't use a tripod, I like f/4, and I like hp5+. So I push. And I've had fun comparing the effects of HC110, ID-11, DDX, and
    Microphen.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Quote Originally Posted by arpinum View Post
    Pushing is my default in winter. I shoot in my dining room at f/4 1/60s @1250. I can't use a tripod, I like f/4, and I like hp5+. So I push. And I've had fun comparing the effects of HC110, ID-11, DDX, and Microphen.
    Why 1/60? 1/15 would gain you two more stops, and still (barely) be hand-holdable.

Mark Overton

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by albada View Post
    Why 1/60? 1/15 would gain you two more stops, and still (barely) be hand-holdable.
    Depends on the camera and lens (and I suppose the subject; cats and kids don't like to hold still for 1/15 of a second in my experience). And some people's hands are steadier than others', and so on.

-NT
    Nathan Tenny
    San Diego, CA, USA

The lady of the house has to be a pretty swell sort of person to put up with the annoyance of a photographer.
    -The Little Technical Library, _Developing, Printing, And Enlarging_

Shooter
    Medium Format
    If you never shoot people and/or available light, you maybe never need to push. But what's so bad about pushing, is it evil? If you don't like it - don't do it. I hate tripods and flash. Some of my very best pics would have been impossible without pushing. Recommending 1/15 is a nice joke.

Best - Reinhold

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Quote Originally Posted by grommi View Post
    Recommending 1/15 is a nice joke.
    If you hold a 35mm camera upside-down, you can brace it against your forehead for additional steadiness. Then 1/15 becomes feasible with a 50mm or wider lens. Add to that the usual tricks of bracing yourself against a wall or armrest (if sitting), and you might find yourself trying 1/8 second. But as a prior poster said, that won't work for cats or kids that are constantly moving.

Mark Overton

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by grommi View Post
    If you never shoot people and/or available light, you maybe never need to push. But what's so bad about pushing, is it evil? If you don't like it - don't do it. I hate tripods and flash. Some of my very best pics would have been impossible without pushing. Recommending 1/15 is a nice joke.

Best - Reinhold
    Well I shoot people and available light and even handheld on occasion and don't push.

I don't hate pushing, I just find it unnecessary and even counter productive most times.

When I came back to film 5 years or so back I was actually very enamored with pushing and all that jazz, then I got an enlarger and started printing. Those pre-enlarger negatives were pretty like slides but they are considerably harder to print than my current negatives.

Yes, I do reduce camera exposure regularly, say by shooting my Delta 400 at 1600, to keep my shutter speeds up, which is a good thing. What I normally leave out is the change in development/the change in film contrast rate. My Delta 400 just gets developed in DD-X for what Ilford calls "normal contrast". Printing has become much easier and the resulting prints, prettier.

What I learned was that pushing didn't get me any more detail in my prints and it made my printing work harder.

If pushing doesn't give me more shooting speed, more detail in my prints, or make printing easier, why in the world would I push?
    Last edited by markbarendt; 01-09-2013 at 06:21 AM. Click to view previous post history.
    Mark Barendt, Ignacio, CO

"We do not see things the way they are. We see things the way we are." Anaïs Nin

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin