Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,986   Posts: 1,524,014   Online: 871

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    The choice of words and attitude look awfully familiar... looks to me like a certain three letter dude on "restricted access" here...
    I do use a digital device in my photographic pursuits when necessary.
    When someone rags on me for using film, I use a middle digit, upraised.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Ken Nadvornick View Post
    Maybe best to just let sleeping dogs lie on this one...

Ken
    Get enough to lie on it and maybe they'll smother it!
    I do use a digital device in my photographic pursuits when necessary.
    When someone rags on me for using film, I use a middle digit, upraised.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    he's not tarring anything, he's just suggesting that
    a lot of people on apug aren't really living
    in his reality, where that film use is
    dwindling, and film processing will become
    a niche market, and it isn't really worth spending $$
    on a piece of processing equipment that might not pay for itself.

if you talk to other people in the photo lab industry you might hear the same
    sort of point of view from many of them. there are some labs that are doing very well
    but the lab industry, pro labs, mini labs &c have been closing their doors consistently
    for the past 10 years. the poster at pnet didn't really mince his words ...

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by pentaxuser View Post
    If the post to which you refer is the one I think it is where there is a reference to APUG then the poster makes two points and both could be regarded as reasonable

1. How much evidence is there that the drop in film demand has been reversed?

2. You will get a lot of processing of film at a lab for what the new Jobo processor will cost

OK the poster could be said to be tarring the whole of APUG with the same brush and his use of certain words such as delusional is provocative but had he simply said that he knows of no evidence that points to a film revival and anyone thinking otherwise is kidding themselves or is guilty of wishful thinking then I fear he may be right in that assertion.

It's a pity but that is probably the way things are

pentaxuser
    Here is some contradicting info from the real world:
    http://www.professionalphotographer....print-pays-off

Also, some google searches will produce a fairly long interview with Kodak CEO right after the chapter 11 filing, where he notes that the film division at Kodak, is one of only 4 profitable operations the company has, and he talks about the rise in sales to specialty markets.

Lomo is another example of phenomenal marketing capability, but they are selling more film (made by fuji, adox and kodak) than all three companies combined.

Firstcall in the UK is coming out with a 1GBP a roll C-41 10 roll kit made in the EU, which is a wholly brand new product, aimed a specific market segment, which apparently, is alive and well.

Either way - from where i am sitting it seems as though not all is lost after all, and more then that - stuff is getting better, its getting better all the time .
    CatLABS of JP
    Darkroom resources and service

www.catlabs.info | https://www.facebook.com/CatLABS.of.JP | www.jobo-usa.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by pentaxuser View Post
    1. How much evidence is there that the drop in film demand has been reversed?

2. You will get a lot of processing of film at a lab for what the new Jobo processor will cost
    I can't respond to No.1 with any statistical proof, although there does seem to be more interest in film than there was about a decade ago. Whether it translates into more film use, I can't say... My less than scientific survey among a few friends would lead one to believe that it is. I have a few friends who shoot digital professionally (portraits/weddings) who have just renewed their interest in film. Two are women, who would use my darkroom regularly up to about 5 years ago. In the last 2 months, I've heard from both of them, asking to return. One borrowed some film for a trip, and has decided not to work with digital anymore.

As for No.2, the poster claimed he could get 700 rolls of 120 B/W lab processed for the same $3500. Fair enough... $5/roll seems reasonable. However, it probably costs about a buck per roll in the Jobo, so there is savings to be had. Saving $4 per roll over the course of 700 rolls brings the cost of the Jobo down to $700. Not too bad if viewed from this perspective.
    If you shoot color,or large format, the lab costs are higher, and potential savings are greater.

There are other reasons for considering the Jobo. Labs are moving away from film processing. If you're in a major metropolitan area, you probably still have a local option. For others, though, film must be sent away, adding postage and turnaround time (which would bring the cost of the Jobo down even more. Assuming the postage costs are $2/roll, those 700 rolls could actually make the Jobo cheaper than a lab.

Finally, the Jobo gives you complete control of your work. Choose whatever developer you want, alter times/temps/etc.

$3500 doesn't seem like an awful lot to me, assuming one is planning to shoot film regularly far into the future.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    You should be posting this at Pnet...

Quote Originally Posted by eddie View Post
    There are other reasons for considering the Jobo. Labs are moving away from film processing. If you're in a major metropolitan area, you probably still have a local option. For others, though, film must be sent away, adding postage and turnaround time (which would bring the cost of the Jobo down even more. Assuming the postage costs are $2/roll, those 700 rolls could actually make the Jobo cheaper than a lab.
    Could not agree more with this statement - mostly because most of our local Pro labs offer poor results in comparison to anything you get from a Jobo processor -
    [QUOTE=eddie;1444174]Finally, the Jobo gives you complete control of your work. Choose whatever developer you want, alter times/temps/etc.

Quote Originally Posted by eddie View Post
    $3500 doesn't seem like an awful lot to me, assuming one is planning to shoot film regularly far into the future.
    700 rolls is far into the future? that should be about 3-4 days considering you shoot 8GB worth of photos when they are free... . But really, how long does it take any film shooter to go through several hundred rolls\plates?
    CatLABS of JP

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by CatLABS View Post
    700 rolls is far into the future? that should be about 3-4 days considering you shoot 8GB worth of photos when they are free... . But really, how long does it take any film shooter to go through several hundred rolls\plates?
    I was referring to how long the Jobo will last. My ATL2 (which just conked out a few months ago) was about 15-20 years old, I think. It went from daily studio use to years of storage before a friend sold it to me. I got about 3 years use before it recently stopped rotating. One of these days I'll get it fixed.
    PS- Wish I were handier, or you were closer...

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Eddie,

Sorry to hear about your ATL2, those are complex machines which are getting old these days.
    If you contact us directly we might be able to find a service station closer to you, or arrange for low cost freight for your machine to us and back.

The new CPP3 should be even more reliable (then the CPP2 and CPA2) with less moving parts, no breakable knobs and switches and a few other life lengthening features.

As we always say - a Jobo machine will last pretty much forever as long as you treat it right
    Last edited by CatLABS; 01-08-2013 at 07:33 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    CatLABS of JP

Shooter
    Multi Format
    But really, how long does it take any film shooter to go through several hundred rolls\plates?
    i have shot that many rolls + sheets in a few weeks maybe a month ...
    its really not hard ..

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jnanian View Post
    i have shot that many rolls + sheets in a few weeks maybe a month ...
    its really not hard ..
    +1
    CatLABS of JP

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin