Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,042   Posts: 1,560,719   Online: 1079

Thread: Dirty Negatives

Shooter
    Medium Format

Dirty Negatives

Just got some film back from the lab. Upon inspecting it closer at home, there is what appears to be dried mud plastered over one of the frames. I'm not sure, but it looked like somebody stepped on it with a muddy shoe. I tried pouring some water over it and wiping it with a cloth, but the water formed a thick, sticky residue. Now I'm unable to load the negatives into a sleeve because it is so sticky. I won't have access to a scanner until tomorrow so I can't yet see the damage.

Why did the water form a sticky layer? Is using water to clean negatives a major no-no?

Shooter
    35mm
    Rinsing them will not hurt them at all.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Water won't hurt but lord knows what the material is. Best bet I think is to clean with PEC-12. However, the container does not list the ingredients, it costs at least $10 for 4 oz, and I swear it smells identical to denatured alcohol.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by damonff View Post
    Rinsing them will not hurt them at all.
    Weird, because when I poured water on them, the water solidified into a stiff gel before the droplets could travel to the next frame, and it collected a ton of dust.

I rinsed it in 91% rubbing alcohol and hung it to dry. Will report back.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Wait!

I know this is in B&W forum but what kind of film is it? Is it a traditional B&W film like Tri-X and Tmax OR is it C-41 processed B&W film? If former, washing with water is OK but if latter, if you do that, you'll have to stablize it after washing. I would suggest talking with your lab before doing anything.
    Develop, stop, fix.... wait.... where's my film?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Now you know why I don't use labs.
    www.EASmithV.com

"The camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera."— Dorothea Lange
    http://www.flickr.com/easmithv/
    RIP Kodachrome

Shooter
    35mm
    Have you been in touch with the lab and complained. That would be my 1st step. let them know your dissatisfaction and wait for their response.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin