Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,966   Posts: 1,558,415   Online: 887

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Hey Andrew

Depends on the water I'd say, the water we had in the North West had no problems regarding drying, but here in the Freestate, it is a different matter. Are you ordering from Midsouth?

regards
    Ricus

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Ricus.stormfire View Post
    Hey Andrew

Depends on the water I'd say, the water we had in the North West had no problems regarding drying, but here in the Freestate, it is a different matter. Are you ordering from Midsouth?

regards
    Ricus
    Thanks Ricus. Yes, from Midsouth.

Cheers
    Andrew

Shooter
    Multi Format
    There are some very informative comments on this forum by Photo Engineer on why you should use a wetting agent and why you shouldn't use dish soap. A search will find them for you.

The stuff is cheap and well worth the minimal cost and small effort to use it.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I use photo-flow myself but I don't use stop bath for film develoment.

Jeff

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Thanks to everyone for your insights.

After reading and considering all your comments, I've come to the conclusion that as it will only increase the cost per processed and printed film by about 0.2%, I should just get some and give it a try.

Thanks again
    Andrew

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I use commercial wetting agents at half strength and dump them after use. I like the idea about adding a bit of isopropyl alcohol to the working solution as a preservative, thereby not having to discard it, providing it remains clean. That means a bit less chemistry going down the drain. I always use HCA with film. It seems to help clear the antihalation backing form the more stubborn films. I have read somewhere, that wetting agents for film also contain anti fungal agents. if true that may be another reason for using them.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    My last purchase of LFN lasted about five years, but now it is done and there is no longer a local supplier for it. We have moderately hard water here, and without a wetting agent, I have to deal with spots before I print my films. Is there a home grown solution?
    Tom, on Point Pelee, Canada

Ansel Adams had the Zone System... I'm working on the points system. First I points it here, and then I points it there...

http://tom-overton-images.weebly.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Toffle View Post
    My last purchase of LFN lasted about five years, but now it is done and there is no longer a local supplier for it. We have moderately hard water here, and without a wetting agent, I have to deal with spots before I print my films. Is there a home grown solution?
    Kodak Photo-flo, if you consider Champion in Rochester, New York, "home grown"
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Yes, you will avoid future problems. Kodak PhotoFlo is cheap and lasts forever.
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Do I need a wetting agent?

I imported a bottle of genuine photo flo and I would not be without it

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin