Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,300   Posts: 1,536,035   Online: 978

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Partial Bleaching Prints...

I like the effect of a partially bleached print... ie just before it is sepia toned.
    Is the final image after washing stable, ie only bleached and NOT toned?

Nigel
    photography is an art of expression
    www.nigelharley.co.uk

Ole
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Only if it's fixed after bleaching.
    -- Ole Tjugen, Luddite Elitist
    Norway

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Eventually it will darken. But you can fix it after partially bleaching so that it won't darken. The print will bleach more than you might expect though when it hits the fix. It's a pretty common practice to partially tone in selenium, partially bleach, refix and then tone more fully in selenium. It's pretty easy to get some funky yellowing with this method but....good luck.
    "If I only had a brain"-Some badly dressed guy made of straw in some movie I think I saw

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I sometimes lightly bleach, sepia tone, then lightly rebleach and refix. The second bleaching strips away density from 'underneath' the sepia areas giving them a glow. If done carefully, it need not affect darker tones. Can be a very handy technique for certain subjects. Handy in the UK where sunlit areas might need a touch extra help (cos the sun if often low intensity if present at all). Have to be careful not to overdo it as the highlight can end up flat sepia with little density or contrast.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    No, the partial bleaching alone is not stable unless you use something like Farmer's reducer which is a bleach and fixer mix.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Bleaching re-introduces halides to the emulsion, which attach themseves to the silver. It is this that reacts to light and will slowly darken (print out) over time. Whether or not you then tone, you will still need to re-fix. This removes the halides and the image becomes stable again.
    Can you tell I've be reading Tim Rudman's toning book?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Thanks rogueish.... I will ensure I re-fix. It is easier to do something when you know why you are doing it!
    photography is an art of expression
    www.nigelharley.co.uk

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin