Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,564   Posts: 1,573,432   Online: 910

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    Medium Format

Boric Acid substitute...........?

I'm still working on my FX-37 experiment and it's going extremely well, but my mind was wandering ahead again. I want to make up some ID-68 to try with some Foma 100 and have everything except Boric Acid. I did a search for a sub for it, but none shows up. Then I remembered that I have a container of Roach Killer so I made a trip to the garage. The roach killer is made by Maxattrax and on the front it says "Roach killing powder with Boric Acid", which I believe is slightly misleading since the active ingredients are: Orthoboric Acid..............99.0% and other ingredients............1%. So, it seems they should have said "Roach Killing Orthoboric Acid powder with other (1%) ingredients. Anyway, enough of that. The question is do you think this will work for making up some ID68 and should I pretty much use the ID-68 formula weight for Booric acid with the "Roach Orthoboric Acid? I have a few old rolls of film for trial and error and the cost of making up a small batch would only be in the pennies. I just don't want to be doing something stupid and if I am for Gods sake please tell me. JohnW

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Depends what the other 1% is, so why risk it. You can get USP grade boric acid in most drug stores. Get the crystalline rather than the powder as it dissolves faster. This would be a problem with the roach powder since it too is a very fine powder.
    A rock pile ceases to be a rock pile the moment a single man contemplates it, bearing within him the image of a cathedral.

~Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Gerald C Koch View Post
    Depends what the other 1% is, so why risk it. You can get USP grade boric acid in most drug stores. Get the crystalline rather than the powder as it dissolves faster. This would be a problem with the roach powder since it too is a very fine powder.
    Yes, I'm pretty sure it would work. As for the risk? Maybe that mystery 1% is the magic bullet to make all films come out perfect! Ya, Right! I would not even think of using it on something that is, so called, important. Luckily I've still got some more work to do on my FX-37 project and that will keep me busy for the next two evenings. Then Friday or Sat. I'll get a chance to run down to the local drug shop and see what they got. Sorry for the bother, but I just had a curious mind I guess. JohnW

Shooter
    Multi Format
    No reason to be sorry better to ask than run the risk of ruining a batch of developer or worse some film.
    A rock pile ceases to be a rock pile the moment a single man contemplates it, bearing within him the image of a cathedral.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Gerald C Koch View Post
    No reason to be sorry better to ask than run the risk of ruining a batch of developer or worse some film.
    Yup, when I was just a pup I was told by a wise old man that the only "stupid questions" are the questions you don't ask. Of course it was many, many years before I finally realized he was a wise old man. JohnW

Shooter
    Multi Format
    JohnW, I think you worry too much about boroc acid.
    1% impurities is normal for a substance for photo use.
    High purity substances are also extremely expensive.

http://www.chemicalland21.com/indust...ric%20acid.htm

George

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by georgegrosu View Post
    JohnW, I think you worry too much about boroc acid.
    1% impurities is normal for a substance for photo use.
    High purity substances are also extremely expensive.

http://www.chemicalland21.com/indust...ric%20acid.htm

George
    Just crawled out of the darkroom..........................George that's true about the 1% impurities, but the question is what are they. Harmless to my film? I think maybe they are, but the cheap cost for a good stash of Boric Acid can't be very much I would think. It's late now, but in the morning I'm going to check the Net for the going price. JohnW

Shooter
    Multi Format
    JohnW, I work now in a laboratory for processing black & white movie film “National University of Theatre and Cinematography Arts “IL Caragiale” from Romania (http://www.unatc.ro/ ).
    Since 1980, when I work in film, preparation of solutions for film development from raw chemical with a purity were photo standard .
    Purity of these substances was around 97- 99 %, according to the standards for photo use.
    High purity chemicals we use in laboratory chemical analysis (reagent).
    I assume that your`s boric acid can be used without problems in the preparation of the developer.
    Borax with boric acid is pH buffer.

George

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by georgegrosu View Post
    JohnW, I work now in a laboratory for processing black & white movie film “National University of Theatre and Cinematography Arts “IL Caragiale” from Romania (http://www.unatc.ro/ ).
    Since 1980, when I work in film, preparation of solutions for film development from raw chemical with a purity were photo standard .
    Purity of these substances was around 97- 99 %, according to the standards for photo use.
    High purity chemicals we use in laboratory chemical analysis (reagent).
    I assume that your`s boric acid can be used without problems in the preparation of the developer.
    Borax with boric acid is pH buffer.

George
    George, I agree with you 100% or at least 99%. Just a joke! You are right in that it's not like I have to take this stuff orally and would worry about what that mystery 1% was. Of course we are eating much worse things out of a can or grocery store and don't know it. You're also right about Borax and Boric Acid together be pH buffer and that's why it's in the old Ilford ID-68 developer. Later I might mix some with the roach powder and then some with the "real" Boric Acid and play with the two. JohnW

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I think the point with the roach killer is that it has one or more ADDITIVES not impurities. The label does not specify what they are so caution is advisable.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin