Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,925   Posts: 1,556,760   Online: 1027

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    Med. Format RF

Galerie Graded and Paper Developers

I'm ready to reorder photo supplies and intend to print more on Galerie. I've used Galerie before but never as my standard paper. With EMAKS graded gone I wish to print more on Galerie. I recall Galerie has inky blacks, very clean/white highlights and broad midtones. When untoned, the grey tones have a, just to the left of neutral, pencil lead look. Toned in KRST the lead tone cools off.

What is the KSRT ratio/time which offers print protection while not cooling off the tone?

Can experienced printers recommend a developer which would bend Galerie print tones to something different (warmer) than the Dektol look. Ive used 130, LPD, Dektol, Ilford PQ, Ilford Unltigrade, Liquidal, ECO 4812, and a few others. LPD is my current standard.

Any user comments on Galerie graded welcome.
    Last edited by Richard Jepsen; 01-10-2013 at 10:01 AM. Click to view previous post history.
    RJ

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I use GALERIE all the time and absolutely love it...I always have.

I have experimented with it using HARMAN Warmtone Dev, that did indeed warm it up, as any 'warmtone' type dev would do, not my personal thing though as I prefer a neutral / cold image tone.

Simon ILFORD Photo / HARMAN technology Limited :

Simon

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I haven't used it in at least 20 yrs., but if I remember right the old Galerie I used isn't the same as the new. Could be wrong and I'm sure somebody will point that out to me if I am. JohnW

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard Jepsen View Post
    I'm ready to reorder photo supplies and intend to print more on Galerie. I've used Galerie before but never as my standard paper. With EMAKS graded gone I wish to print more on Galerie. I recall Galerie has inky blacks, very clean/white highlights and broad midtones. When untoned, the grey tones have a, just to the left of neutral, pencil lead look. Toned in KRST the lead tone cools off.

What is the KSRT ratio/time which offers print protection while not cooling off the tone?

Can experienced printers recommend a developer which would bend Galerie print tones to something different (warmer) than the Dektol look. Ive used 130, LPD, Dektol, Ilford PQ, Ilford Unltigrade, Liquidal, ECO 4812, and a few others. LPD is my current standard.

Try Ilford's own Bromophen.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

I have used Galerie with LPD, and I use it replenished, which means a concentration similar to 1:2, but with all the bromides in the developer there is a distinctive soft-working quality. It gives a hint of warmth with the paper too, which I find appealing. If you're using LPD, try 1:2 or 1:3 for warmer tones than stock or 1:1.
    "Often moments come looking for us". - Robert Frank

"Make good art!" - Neil Gaiman

"...the heart and mind are the true lens of the camera". - Yousuf Karsh

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    I like the untoned Galerie image tint. But, I use KRST for print protection. I recall David Vestal writing about toning Galerie with no color shift using with high KRST ratios; 1:40 and ?? time. In the late 70s Vestal was one of many writers/photographers calling for the best graded paper from manufacturers. Unique papers from Defender/DuPont and others were disappearing. Photographers provided manufacturers feedback on their wishes. Ilford responded with Galerie. The new paper was highly praised.

I'm not making the case for what paper is the best. All the papers I have used are very good. They are all different concerning contrast curves, paper surface, tint, and other properties.

I'm making the case to stay with one film, one developer, one or two papers until you know them like the back of your hand. I have gotten great results in less time when I standardize negatives for the variables in the image chain. Paper is a big deal and every time I get calibrated the papers disappear.

When you know your materials you can enter your DR and nail a print within 10 to 15 min. Is that not a joy!!
    Last edited by Richard Jepsen; 01-10-2013 at 12:54 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    RJ

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    I have used Galerie with LPD, and I use it replenished, which means a concentration similar to 1:2, but with all the bromides in the developer there is a distinctive soft-working quality
    I found 130 a little softer than LPD. I'm not an expert but I think it may be bromides building up in 130 that cause a stain. I use it 1:4 (expensive). Not saying 130 will always stain but when it gets tired you may see the glow.
    Last edited by Richard Jepsen; 01-10-2013 at 12:52 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    RJ

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I found 130 a little softer than LPD.
    With LPD replenished, I find them about the same. But to my experience, 130 changes with dilution too, where higher dilution gets a bit softer.
    "Often moments come looking for us". - Robert Frank

"Make good art!" - Neil Gaiman

"...the heart and mind are the true lens of the camera". - Yousuf Karsh

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    The stain from 130 is due to glycin, which changes over time, i.e., fresh tan glycin gives little stain,
    mocha-colored semi-oxidized, some stain, old chocolate glycin an overall tea-like stain. My own
    custom is to have one bottle of glycin power "aged" like a fine wine to a mid-state, and another
    bottle virgin uponpened in the freezer. In other words, fresher glycin= cooler image / older, more
    oxidized glycin = warmer and more stain. And we can also tinker with the formula toward cooler
    by substituting benzotriozole for the KBr restrainer, at about 1/4 the gram wt, though that is not
    related to staining per se.

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Anyone use the new Eco-Pro or 130 with Galerie? What is your favorite developer and toning technique with the paper?
    Last edited by Richard Jepsen; 01-11-2013 at 09:52 AM. Click to view previous post history.
    RJ

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin