Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,461   Posts: 1,570,629   Online: 771

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sticky FP-4+

Shooter
    Multi Format

Sticky FP-4+

Today I was loading my 5x4 film holder with some Ilford FP-4+ sheets, and as I was removing a sheet from the box, it appeared to be stuck to the sheet under it, with a bit of coercion it came loose, with a tearing "sticky" sound. At first I thought it was some sort of protective paper placed inbetween the sheets, but when I'd loaded the holders (with the next sheet from the box) and opened my changing bag I found a strange looking sheet of film.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	img059.jpg 
Views:	53 
Size:	502.7 KB 
ID:	62412

I scanned in the sheet (the image) and as you can see it appears as if parts of it has simply torn off, and there's a wet-looking darker blotch covering quite a bit of it. Does anyone know what might have happened here?

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Looks like it got moist. Likely cause being refrigeration after the pack was opened, which means you can get condensation in the pack.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    It sounds like the previous post was correct, but if so, why refrigerate black & white film?

“The contemplation of things as they are, without error or confusion, without substitution or imposture, is in itself a nobler thing than a whole harvest of invention”

Francis Bacon

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I certainly haven't refrigerated it... Could it be due to air humidity as well? I keep the pack in a box in the laundry room, but it doesn't generally get that humid in there...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by henry finley View Post
    No telling. But where there's 1, there's bound to be more.
    That's worrying, I've only shot 2 sheets of it so far...

ROL
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    I freeze and refrigerate plenty of FP4+, as well as other films, and have never experienced anything undue. Return the film to your seller and get your money back.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by ROL View Post
    I freeze and refrigerate plenty of FP4+, as well as other films, and have never experienced anything undue. Return the film to your seller and get your money back.
    I'll pop in there tomorrow and check with them, I bought it some time ago though, and had it lying before I managed to get a hold of a proper film holder (had a 12x9 film holder that said 5x4 on it...), so I'm not sure I can return it.

Thanks for the help everyone!

Shooter
    Medium Format
    The film itself, inside the double box has obviously been compromised by moisture and not an insignificant amount. Does the box itself feel wet or damp ?. Obviously do not use the film. Regardless, you need to return the film to where you bought it along with the box ( as it has the batch number on it ) it will be returned to our distributor and then to us, we will then examine the actual film and the box. As in all these matters, I check the QC records, we have no QC complaints on FP4+ sheet film outstanding, or on any sheet film product. If you are concerned about how old it is ( out of date? ) let me know the batch number and I will tell you on what date it was made.

Simon ILFORD photo / HARMAN technology Limited :

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Simon R Galley View Post
    The film itself, inside the double box has obviously been compromised by moisture and not an insignificant amount. Does the box itself feel wet or damp ?. Obviously do not use the film. Regardless, you need to return the film to where you bought it along with the box ( as it has the batch number on it ) it will be returned to our distributor and then to us, we will then examine the actual film and the box. As in all these matters, I check the QC records, we have no QC complaints on FP4+ sheet film outstanding, or on any sheet film product. If you are concerned about how old it is ( out of date? ) let me know the batch number and I will tell you on what date it was made.

Simon ILFORD photo / HARMAN technology Limited :
    Hello Simon, thanks for answering!

The box itself doesn't feel damaged in any way, but it probably isn't too far-fetched to say that the damage was caused by improper storage. As such I can't help but wonder if I should return it at all? If the damage is my fault, it seems like returning it would only yield a loss of film for my part, whereas if I keep it I could try to figure out how much damage has been done and perhaps salvage a few sheets. I'm certain the box isn't out of date.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Dear Cybertrash,

If you promise to ditch the box and ditch the film inside and send me your details ( PM me ) I will replace the box free of charge, ensure the replacement is kept in a dark and dry place....

Thank you for using and valuing ILFORD photo products.

Simon.

ILFORD Photo / HARMAN technology Limited :

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin