Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,712   Posts: 1,482,994   Online: 841

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Why do Ilford Harman take so long with 120 film?

With the "dev the fim yourself" comments aside, can I ask what the score is with Ilford Harman Tech?

Let me say this - I have started to use Ilford Harman here in the UK for my B&W film developing, scanning and printing for about the last 8 months or so because I find their results to be outstanding and consistant. And their staff are always really helpful.

However, I sent 3 rolls of 120 to them 11 days ago for the first time (only found out they did 120 the other week so have only usedfor 35mm to date). I spoke to them a week ago yesterday (because they rang me to ask about the films I'd sent) and then again last Wednesday to enquire about progress when I was told "Ah yes. If they are roll films they'll pribably be done on Thursday or Friday". Today is Saturday and the postman has been and I still have no prints :-(

I don't mind really if it takes them a long time for a good reason, but compared to my other lab that I use for colour work, who turn round films of both type usually in less than 4 days (i.e. films posted on Monday, I get the prints back Wed or Thur at the latest), this seems an irritatingly long time. Does anone know why their 120 take so long (when I send them 35mm, they usually get that done in a few days)? Nearly two weeks for 3 rolls is pushing it a bit for my tollernace level.

Ted
    Last edited by ted_smith; 01-12-2013 at 02:41 AM. Click to view previous post history.
    Ted Smith Photography
    Hasselblad 501CM...my 2nd love.

Shooter
    35mm
    I will hazard a guess that they do 120 runs less frequently as a matter of efficiency. I'm sure Simon will pop by soon and we will know what's up for sure.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    It's also been New Year. Perhaps they are short staffed or aren't starting any production runs till the week beginning the 7th? A lot of workplaces aren't/weren't running fully the week of New Year.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    desertrat....and odd reply but thanks for doing so regardless.

"thank the Lord and the Queen that Harman is still interested in developing your orphan film" - Ilford Pan F+ cannot be called orphaned I don't think. And given that Ilford's entire business is the creation of film and development\printing of it, if they weren't interested in dev'ing photographers exposed films, they'd be in a spot of trading bother.

But yeah...I appreciate the w\c 7th Jan issue but I just thought 11\12 days (it will be two weeks come Monday) was a touch excessive for three rolls of film. I appreciate the "no point dev'ing until we have a big batch" but that doesn't help me especially. Call me selfish, but I want the fruits of my labour ASAP and don't want to wait for two dozen other photographers to get round to posting their endeavors until processing mine.
    Ted Smith Photography

Shooter
    35mm
    If I have understood you correctly Ted, Ilford said Thursday or Friday and today is Saturday which is a day later but post on Saturday tends to be limited to half a working day and as others have said we have just passed out of the Xmas period.

However key to this is whether Ilford ordinarily can match you other lab which you are pleased with. If not then your decision is clear, if speed is king.

Of course Ilford uses genuine B&W paper. Does your other lab do the same? Many otherwise good labs use RA4 as they are geared up to colour prints.

Only you can decide to whom to give your business

pentaxuser

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by pentaxuser View Post
    If I have understood you correctly Ted, Ilford said Thursday or Friday and today is Saturday which is a day later but post on Saturday tends to be limited to half a working day and as others have said we have just passed out of the Xmas period.

However key to this is whether Ilford ordinarily can match you other lab which you are pleased with. If not then your decision is clear, if speed is king.

Of course Ilford uses genuine B&W paper. Does your other lab do the same? Many otherwise good labs use RA4 as they are geared up to colour prints.

Only you can decide to whom to give your business

pentaxuser
    Ilford is by far my preference for B&W prints. My other lab are pretty good 70% with B&W but I get a fair rate of poorer work so I switched to Ilford for all B&W about 8 months ago. Ilford are spot on every time in my experience with 35mm but never used for 120 before and I am eager to see the results of my playing with Ilford PanF+ at medium format which I have not shot before. It's just they are usually much quicker so I wanted to check this was normal for 120.
    Ted Smith Photography

Shooter
    35mm
    I'm perfectly happy to wait two-or-three weeks (or quite a lot longer) if that's what's needed to get Ilford quality, at their reasonable price.

My last E6 films sent with Jessops pre-paid mailers (to Cewe, in Coventry...looks as though they send them to their lab in Germany) took over three weeks, but were excellent quality processing. Presumably that service will finish with Jessops......guess we have to be thankful that we can still get E6 elsewhere (but more expensive...and for now......).

Shooter
    Large Format
    there is but one lab (that I know of) here in California who dev and print B&W. They take about two to three weeks for 35mm or 120...doesn't matter. I feel lucky to have them. I would be thrilled to have Ilford service available here.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Usually only takes me about 30 minutes to get my 120 rolls back from the lab, which is conveniently located in my kitchen sink.
    Parker Smith Photography, Inc.
    Atlanta, GA

Commercial & Fine Art Photography
    Portrait Photography

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by ParkerSmithPhoto View Post
    Usually only takes me about 30 minutes to get my 120 rolls back from the lab, which is conveniently located in my kitchen sink.
    Amen.
    Items for sale or trade at www.Camera35.com

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin