Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,206   Posts: 1,531,845   Online: 858

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    Shooter
    35mm

B&W Film Suggestions for 120?

I dusted off my old Mamiya RB67 and 645 this weekend. I'm planning on ordering some B&W film this week. For many years I used Tri X for 35mm; I can't remember ever using Tri X for 120 though. I do remember the very visible amount of grain with 35mm Tri X. While it was a nice effect with 35mm, I would like to achieve a cleaner image with 120 B&W; less grain, medium contrast, more defined tones.

I plan on shooting a mix of portraits and landscapes. Any suggestions?

Looks like my ISO 400 choices at B&H are:

- Rollei/Agfa Retro 400S

- Fomapan Action 400

- Tri X

P.S. I don't plan on developing the rolls myself; I will be sending the negatives out for developing and I will scan them once I get them Or have them scanned during developing).

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I would recommend TMAX-400 (TMY). Definitely available at B&H and will deliver full box speed in most developers. For 100 speed, a lot of people like Fuji Acros.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Rolfe Tessem View Post
    I would recommend TMAX-400 (TMY). Definitely available at B&H and will deliver full box speed in most developers. For 100 speed, a lot of people like Fuji Acros.

Thanks Rolfe! I have never used TMAX-400. How does it compare to Tri-X in terms of grain/tonality? Any major differences/advantages over Tri-X?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Rolfe Tessem View Post
    If you want cleaner grain than TriX (I love,especially in 120) I'll agree with both of these.
    I'm not a huge fan of Tgrain but considering you dissed Tri X (lol j/k)

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    FP4

“The contemplation of things as they are, without error or confusion, without substitution or imposture, is in itself a nobler thing than a whole harvest of invention”

Francis Bacon

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by brucemuir View Post
    If you want cleaner grain than TriX (I love,especially in 120) I'll agree with both of these.
    I'm not a huge fan of Tgrain but considering you dissed Tri X (lol j/k)

I'm shooting for the closest "Ansel Adams" look without having to go large format...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Heres a 645 TMY neg that shows the grain structure a bit. Flat light this day was overcast
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	web_-06.jpg 
Views:	131 
Size:	137.1 KB 
ID:	62569

D76 1+1

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    If you really liked Tri-X 35mm and just wished for less grain... then stepping up to 120 will give you less grain on the same film.

I have grown fond of certain TMAX-400 characteristics. I like the fine grain, sharpness and the fact I don't really need a yellow filter to get detail in the skies. There's a different reciprocity failure curve too.

None of this is earth-shattering. But those are differences that you might expect to see when you change film.

If you just move to 120 size then everything you remember still holds true.

p.s. I work for Kodak but the opinions and positions I take are my own and not necessarily those of EKC.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by brucemuir View Post
    Heres a 645 TMY neg that shows the grain structure a bit. Flat light this day was overcast
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	web_-06.jpg 
Views:	131 
Size:	137.1 KB 
ID:	62569

D76 1+1

Thanks! Very cool image! Looks like the grain is less noticeable than with Tri-X.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    How long ago was it that you used Tri-X in 35mm? I recall in 80s when I used Tri-X, there was a quite visible level of grain. But, when I use it today, and I do it regularly, I don't find the grain objectionable even when I enlarge it to 11x14 with small amount of cropping. If you must stick with ISO 400, I find Tmax 400 to be as grainless as it can get for ISO 400 film.

But, if it was quite a while ago you used Tri-X, I recommend you'd try again because the formulation has changed. It's quite nice.
    Develop, stop, fix.... wait.... where's my film?

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin