Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,712   Posts: 1,482,988   Online: 823

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    We have all done that at some point.
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Oops!
    Items for sale or trade at www.Camera35.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Thank you all for the replies. Indeed I had mixed the whole bottle to working solution (which I agree was probably a mistake). I'll bin it, but could someone first mention why such a tiny amount of fix should ruin the whole bottle, please?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by OEyers View Post
    Thank you all for the replies. Indeed I had mixed the whole bottle to working solution (which I agree was probably a mistake). I'll bin it, but could someone first mention why such a tiny amount of fix should ruin the whole bottle, please?
    The developer might still function - poorly and inconsistently.

Some developer/fixer mixes can work together as monobaths, but they work in a substantially different manner then when you use the chemicals separately.

And I believe that monobaths need to be mixed up just before use.
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    Multi Format
    When you develop your film, you are counting on certain temp, certain agitation, and for certain time will give you a consistent result. You LOST that.

Also, consider what fix will do to your film.

Developer will turn exposed part of the film into silver
    Fixer will remove what wasn't developed into silver and down the drain (sort of speak)

If you have fixer come into contact with film before developing your film, it will start to remove all material. Having fixer IN developer will cause (in theory) start removing emulsion material from the point you pour your now contaminated developer into the canister - exposed or not. Remember, once gone, it's gone permanently. Most of us won't risk it.

Generally speaking, contamination in forward direction (the order you do your processing) is not that much of a problem. Backward is a pretty big issue.
    Develop, stop, fix.... wait.... where's my film?

ROL
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Sirius Glass View Post
    We have all done that at some point.
    Patently untrue. Careful, organized darkroom workers easily avoid such mistakes.

OP, your developer may "cleaned" of fix with my patented fix separator, aka "FIX–UP"®. At a more than reasonable one time cost of $499.99 for the hardware and a $49 monthly subscription fee for software integrity assurance (required for the first year), your developer can be fix free! At a blazing ten cc's per hour, you will have your developer back to pristine condition in mere days (running time approximate). Act now and STOP-BE-GONE® is yours as our gift to you. Please PM me regarding payment (cash only)*.

...or you could just mix up new developer and label your chemistry, if you really prefer the old-fashioned approach.

* Results not guaranteed. Offer void in Maryland and any other state with more than 2 letters. Stop-be-gone chemical disposition disclosed by international law as dihydrogen oxide.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by ROL View Post
    Patently untrue. Careful, organized darkroom workers easily avoid such mistakes.

OP, your developer may "cleaned" of fix with my patented fix separator, aka "FIX–UP"®. At a more than reasonable one time cost of $499.99 for the hardware and a $49 monthly subscription fee for software integrity assurance (required for the first year), your developer can be fix free! At a blazing ten cc's per hour, you will have your developer back to pristine condition in mere days (running time approximate). Act now and STOP-BE-GONE® is yours as our gift to you. Please PM me regarding payment (cash only)*.

...or you could just mix up new developer and label your chemistry, if you really prefer the old-fashioned approach.

* Results not guaranteed. Offer void in Maryland and any other state with more than 2 letters. Stop-be-gone chemical disposition disclosed by international law as dihydrogen oxide.
    Unlike you, I am not a chosen one. However, your name ROL is part and parcel of ROTFLMAO.
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by OEyers View Post
    Most fixers are generally quite acidic whereas developers need an alkaline environment to operate. Reducing the pH reduces development activity, possibly to the point where there is none at all. Secondly, the fixer can oxidise the developer and directly destroy its active components. Thirdly, the fixer will be stripping your latent image off the film at the same time as the developer is trying to develop it, which further reduces the image that you get.

With about 8% of your developer being fixer, the developer may have some activity left in it, but I'm pretty sure it will be quite weak and certainly not to specification - even if the dev still worked at all, you wouldn't know how long to develop for. You could test with a short piece of scrap film with some meaningless test images but certainly don't use it on anything you care about.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Let's share how we avoid such mistakes then....

Like the guy above me and skip one and the one above that (oh, wait, that's me... I'm not the chosen one either), I've made such mistakes and ruined a whole bottle of my chemistry before. Since then, I use a system to stop myself from doing it again.

My rule is simple. NEVER have more than one bottle open at any given time. So as I'm done with a step, I pour the chemical from the tank to a cup, then it goes into the open bottle. Pretty simple but effective. Also, as I line up my bottles in the order I need to use it, and place a measuring cup right in front of it. So there is never a confusion what's in each cup. Chems travel vertically from a cup to a bottle.

It's pretty easy to make careless mistakes. I try to avoid it by doing the above and making it a habit.
    Develop, stop, fix.... wait.... where's my film?

Shooter
    35mm
    Fixer is the mortal enemy of undeveloped film. It dissolves it. That's its job.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin