Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,301   Posts: 1,536,171   Online: 728

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Feeling far better due to tkamiya's hug. Ah well, i'll go and get the new bottle of dev tomorrow. Thanks for all the advice/ replies.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by ROL View Post
    Oh, your feelings were hurt . In case it escaped your attention, I corrected your over broad generalization, not you. Now, I do the latter, in kind. Siriusly, how ultra hip the web cognoscenti are. Me thinks I be dissed! I only wish I knew what the hell that acronym even means so I could be properly chastised for correcting your universal proclamation and mea culpa justification and for your own apparent shoddy working procedures. You only speak for yourself. It would be gracious to others to adjust your language to less all encompassing maxims.
    ROTFLMAO = Rolling On The Floor Laughing My Ass Off
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    <==++=(*_*)=++==>
    Develop, stop, fix.... wait.... where's my film?

Shooter
    Medium Format

like the new teen driver...

since the beginning of time... well cars... new teen drivers (the good ones) have one accident in them... hopefully it's small and they get it out of the way early and it just cost a few bucks - you learn.

like good darkroom workers, they have the same thing, one accident -doh! hopefully, it's small in the scheme of things, (no negatives involved), and cost you some small bucks, and you learn!

thanks for sharing.

jvo

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I have waited for someone else to mention this but since no one else has I will say what may be uncomfortable but true. If one reads the original post carefully it is painfully obvious that the OP really doesn't understand what he is doing. I would strrongly suggest he get a good book on photography and read it thoroughly before he attempts to do anything else. Then he can go on and read the directions for Ilfosol 3 and any other solutions he is using.
    Last edited by Gerald C Koch; 01-16-2013 at 10:40 AM. Click to view previous post history.
    A rock pile ceases to be a rock pile the moment a single man contemplates it, bearing within him the image of a cathedral.

~Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I agree with that, in principle, but more accurately, I propose that what the OP needs to learn is darkroom/laboratory procedure.

Yes, I agree that a good book on photography would be quite helpful but procedure is something you don't easily learn from books. It is best learned through experience or mentorship. I might suggest taking a class or a workshop in traditional photography where one can get hands-on instruction or, if that's not feasible, invite a more learned person to spend time with you in your own darkroom. The cost of that might only be a bottle of wine and the run of your darkroom. Another option might be to attend one of the photo meets that are occasionally advertised, here, on APUG.

If none of those options are possible, I say that the OP is already doing the next best thing: Asking questions to the forum.

Not to sound like a wise ass but isn't that why we are all here?
    Randy S.

In girum imus nocte et consumimur igni.

-----

http://www.flickr.com/photos/randystankey/

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Most develop, pun intended, good lab technique after screwing things up in the darkroom
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Gerald C Koch View Post
    I have waited for someone else to mention this but since no one else has I will say what may be uncomfortable but true. If one reads the original post carefully it is painfully obvious that the OP really doesn't understand what he is doing. I would strrongly suggest he get a good book on photography and read it thoroughly before he attempts to do anything else. Then he can go on and read the directions for Ilfosol 3 and any other solutions he is using.

Why do you say that? I read the OP's original post one more time. The only mistake he really made, other than contaminating his developer with fixer is that he diluted the entire bottle. Looking at Ilford documentation, the fact that working solution only lasts 24 hours is mentioned at the 7th page of 8 page documentation. It's really not that big of a mistake.... especially when doc talks about dilution all along up to that point. We know how developers die quickly in working solution but OP is new.

Am I also missing something BIG??

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I question whether any amount of darkroom practicum can make up for not understanding what developers, fixers, ... do. It's like going to a surgeon who makes nice neat stiches but has no knowledge of human anatomy or physiology.

The problem with the original post is that asking whether fixer in developer will have any deleterious effect shows an ignorance of the photographic process. The solution is to do more reading. People ask for help and sometimes that involves telling the truth.
    Last edited by Gerald C Koch; 01-16-2013 at 12:06 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    A rock pile ceases to be a rock pile the moment a single man contemplates it, bearing within him the image of a cathedral.

~Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Oh, I dunno....

I'll admit I didn't know EXACTLY what they did either for few months after re-starting darkroom work. That was a couple years ago. When I was doing it for the first time decades ago, I really didn't know - or cared. Dev, Stop, Fix, WASH! was all I knew.

As I went fully into this "thing", I studied and learned what happens.

Maybe we all forget how we all started...

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin