Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,523   Posts: 1,572,313   Online: 833

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by jim appleyard View Post
    I process in Rodinal mostly. Not a true IR, but enough for me.
    6x12 back loaded, I'll soup it in Rodinal next....
    "I'm the freak that shoots film. God bless the freaks!" ~ Mainecoonmaniac ~

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by PKM-25 View Post
    6x12 back loaded, I'll soup it in Rodinal next....
    I hope you like golf balls. SFX is pretty big-boned in the grain department even before you put it in Rodinal.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by polyglot View Post
    I hope you like golf balls. SFX is pretty big-boned in the grain department even before you put it in Rodinal.
    I am just trying it in everything at this point. I got nice tonality but odd spots in the skies with HC-110 and the grain was decent, went kind of flat and was under with Xtol, but the grain looked the best, no surprise there. I have 6 more rolls of the brick left, so I will do one in Rodinal and then one in Xtol with more exposure, more like ISO 3 instead of the calculated 12 with an R72.

The price of IR400 went up to $10.99 at Freestyle but is in stock at B&H at $8.99 so I stocked up. But I want to get SFX dialed in because it is a bit cheaper and supports Ilford.

At least we have these two, I can do a lot with that.
    "I'm the freak that shoots film. God bless the freaks!" ~ Mainecoonmaniac ~

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Plus, SFX can be loaded in daylight and does not require special focusing. HIE was fun, but a PITA.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images

Shooting SFX 200

Quote Originally Posted by jim appleyard View Post
    Plus, SFX can be loaded in daylight and does not require special focusing. HIE was fun, but a PITA.
    Wait why doesn't it require special focusing?? I thought all IR films needed to be set to the IR mark on the lens? (The red line for the wavelength shift). I just shot my Rollie at that line, hope it comes out in focus...

~Stone

Mamiya: 7 II, RZ67 Pro II / Canon: 1V, AE-1, 5DmkII / Kodak: No 1 Pocket Autographic, No 1A Pocket Autographic | Sent w/ iPhone using Tapatalk
    ~Stone | "...of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong." ~Dennis Miller

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by PKM-25 View Post
    I am just trying it in everything at this point. I got nice tonality but odd spots in the skies with HC-110 and the grain was decent, went kind of flat and was under with Xtol, but the grain looked the best, no surprise there. I have 6 more rolls of the brick left, so I will do one in Rodinal and then one in Xtol with more exposure, more like ISO 3 instead of the calculated 12 with an R72.

The price of IR400 went up to $10.99 at Freestyle but is in stock at B&H at $8.99 so I stocked up. But I want to get SFX dialed in because it is a bit cheaper and supports Ilford.

At least we have these two, I can do a lot with that.
    Dan,

How about posting some comparative shots after you have finished your "experimenting?" I plan on ordering a brick of SFX at the end of the month when I put in my next order, but would like a bit more guidance re exposure and development before I load up. If nothing else, it would allow me to be a bit more objective in my assessment of the capabilities of the film.
    An assortment of F-series Nikons (F to F6, excluding the F4) with quite a few Nikkors, a pair of M6s with some Leitz glass, a pair of 500c/ms with a wide range of Zeiss optics and, just to help keep Duracell solvent, a D800.

Favourite films: (1). KE ("Kodachrome Era"): 35mm: PKM25 and PKR64, HP5/Tri-X; 120: PKR64, PanF, FP4. (2). PKE ("Post-Kodachrome Era"): (a) 35mm: E100G, HP5 Plus/Tri-X and Delta 3200; (b) 120: E100G, PanF Plus, FP4 Plus, TMax 100.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by StoneNYC View Post
    Wait why doesn't it require special focusing?? I thought all IR films needed to be set to the IR mark on the lens? (The red line for the wavelength shift). I just shot my Rollie at that line, hope it comes out in focus...

~Stone

Mamiya: 7 II, RZ67 Pro II / Canon: 1V, AE-1, 5DmkII / Kodak: No 1 Pocket Autographic, No 1A Pocket Autographic | Sent w/ iPhone using Tapatalk
    Stone:

The IR mark on lenses was designed with the Kodak HIE sensitivity in mind - which means longer wavelengths (900nm) and more focus shift.

The near IR sensitivity (720nm) of the Rollei film means much less focus shift.

If your shots were of landscapes, you are probably okay due to depth of field. If you were working at closer distances, you may have problems.
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Scroll down to "Secondary Spectrum" and look at the graphs of focus shift wrt wavelength for different kinds of lens design. SFX200 is only sensitive to about 750nm, which is only just off the right (red) end of those graphs, which means there is very little difference in focus between the most-extreme part of the spectrum it can see and what you can see. If you use (say) a red-25 on SFX, then about 80% of the exposure is visible light anyway! Even if the IR image was visibly focus-shifted, it's about 2 stops down.

HIE was sensitive past 900nm, which means it could have significant focus shift even on otherwise well-corrected lenses.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images

Shooting SFX 200

Quote Originally Posted by MattKing View Post
    Stone:

The IR mark on lenses was designed with the Kodak HIE sensitivity in mind - which means longer wavelengths (900nm) and more focus shift.

The near IR sensitivity (720nm) of the Rollei film means much less focus shift.

If your shots were of landscapes, you are probably okay due to depth of field. If you were working at closer distances, you may have problems.
    Thanks for the info, it was mostly landscapes, on my Maniya 7 and 43mm lens but still, kind if lane there's a significant travel distance from infinity to "infrared infinity" blah wish I had known... Well I'll find out Friday...

~Stone

~Stone | "...of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong." ~Dennis Miller

Shooter
    35mm

Shooting SFX 200

Stone,
    I correct focus using the IR mark on my lenses when using Rollei IR 400. I tend to shoot landscape at medium to small apertures and it works for me, even including close foreground. I hope you get some good images. Alex

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin