Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,995   Posts: 1,524,282   Online: 837

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format

RC paper suitable for lith beginner? (UK)

I'd like to try out lith printing, and want to keep things simple and as inexpensive as possible until I can see whether it's something I want to pursue more extensively.

Looking at various threads on the subject of lith papers, they tend to become wide-ranging discussions of what will and won't lith and what various people think is "best", but my question is really very specific

My darkroom skills are rather of the "basic competence" level, and I would prefer to avoid FB paper as I have nil experience using it yet, and don't feel confident about doing so even in normal processing for the time being.

I realise that some papers will lith and others won't, and that different papers produce different tones, and that formulations change and so on and so forth. In short, I do realise that it's not an exact science!

I have some Fomalux RC, Ilford MG IV, and Kentmere VC on hand, but as I understand things the Ilford/Harman papers won't lith.

Googling suggests that Fomatone MG PE(RC) will lith, but I wondered about others.

So ... are there any current (readily available in the UK) RC papers that will lith?
    Last edited by pdeeh; 01-16-2013 at 05:12 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I would advise NOT using Ilford MGIV for lith straight up, it just turns black within a couple of seconds, BUT, I believe if you make a "normal" print on it, bleach it out, and THEN redevelop it in lith developer you should get a result.

Also, look into age fogged papers for lith printing, most of my RC lith prints are made on otherwise useless (due to age fog) Kodak Polymax III paper.

Good luck

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Freestyle has Arista EDU ultra VCFB for about half the price of Fomatone and Arista A&B lith developer for cheap as well. I dont know of any RC papers that you can do lith process with.
    Rick A
    Argentum aevum
    BTW: the big kid in my avatar is my hero, my son, who proudly serves us in the Navy. "SALUTE"

Shooter
    35mm
    I have used FOMA RC warm tone with great success.

Lith printing is generally more contrasty than regular so I find that a negative that is over exposed will work better than a normal negative.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    I've had some degree of success with Kentmere VC Select. It is worth experimenting with bleach/redevelopment (tip: you need to over-expose quite a bit before developing to completion in the first developer). Using a copper bleach(*) produces some interesting colours, but you do have to watch the snatch point very carefully.

Copper bleach
    Copper sulphate 5g
    Sulphuric acid 30% (battery acid) 2ml
    Sodium chloride 5g
    Water to make 100ml

Always add acid to water.
    In use, dilute one part stock to around ten parts water. Bleach back the print and redevelop in a dilute developer.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I saw someone lith print on ilford Warmtone RC a year or so back. It took ages to get to the snatch point but gave a very nice result. However, don't let unfamiliarity with fibre paper put you off trying it - it might make the lith printing easier.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Your best bet for lith printing on rc would be the Foma tone warm tone rc, it is the same emulsion as the fomatone FB and that is one of the best available Lith papers, it is available from Silverprint and AG photographic
    Richard

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Dear pdeeh,

Try kentmere. I assume it's handy in the UK.

Neal Wydra

Shooter
    Multi Format
    hmm that's a just a tiny bit too general an answer to be entirely useful, Neal

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Dear pdeeh,

I have used lith developer with the Kentmere RC vairable contrast glossy that is available in the United States. It would surprise me if the graded emulsion would not work as well.

Neal Wydra

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin