Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,760   Posts: 1,516,065   Online: 861

Shooter
    Large Format

Quick question on Arista ART / Fomapan

I've recently starting shooting Arista EDU in 4x5 and 120. So far I really like it, I just need to tweak my developing times a little.

Just out of curiosity if you had to compare this film to TMax, Tri-X, Hp5, etc... What would it most closely resemble? I haven't shot Tri-X since college in 1993. My film of choice before shooting EDU had been the Delta emulsions.

And for those of you who used it can you recommend a starting time on development? Currently I'm developing them in D76 1:1 for 10 mins and my negs seem a little thin and lack contrast compared to TMAx and Delta.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I'm using Arista Developer, with that film [Arista EDU and Fomapan] for 4x5, and develop at 6 minutes in patterson tanks.
    Go to the light......

www.keepsakephotography.us

PDH

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Shootar401 View Post
    I've recently starting shooting Arista EDU in 4x5 and 120. So far I really like it, I just need to tweak my developing times a little.

Just out of curiosity if you had to compare this film to TMax, Tri-X, Hp5, etc... What would it most closely resemble? I haven't shot Tri-X since college in 1993. My film of choice before shooting EDU had been the Delta emulsions.

And for those of you who used it can you recommend a starting time on development? Currently I'm developing them in D76 1:1 for 10 mins and my negs seem a little thin and lack contrast compared to TMAx and Delta.
    In terms of grain and tone I think Forma Pan 400 is similar to Tri-X of the 70s, I shoot at 200 and develope 35mm in Mircodale (sp?) (or the Ilford verson) 1:3 120 and 4X5 in D 76 1:1. Are you shooting at 400? If so you may need to lower the ISO to 200 or 320, the data sheet suggests that it is really a 200 speed film.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I shoot fomapan 400 almost exclusively, and the film it is closest to is Tri x, not the current tri x but the tri x from the 60's 70's, but even then it has something that is simply Fomapan, For 120 and 35mm I develop it for 18 minutes in Rodinal 1/50, and 8 minutes in D76 stock.
    Richard

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    The variable you did not mention is EI. If your negatives are thin overall you should consider a lower EI.
    [FONT=Comic Sans MS]Films NOT Dead - Just getting fixed![/FONT]

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    If the negatives are 'thin' - as in poor shadow detail - you are not exposing enough. Bracket your exposures from 100 to 400 and see where you land. Pick your film speed based on that.
    If you have low contrast, you are not developing enough. Again, after you figure out appropriate film speed in above step, vary your developing time until you have good contrast.

Final negative contrast is almost entirely under your control with exposure and development, where the film characteristics are constant, but how you use the film is a variable, and it's unique to each and every one of us.

http://www.freestylephoto.biz/pdf/pr..._Ultra_400.pdf
    Freestyle, which packages and re-sells the Foma film as the Arista.EDU 400 that you're using, recommends 12-13 minutes with D76 1:1. Try that first, and then make adjustments.
    "Often moments come looking for us". - Robert Frank

"Make good art!" - Neil Gaiman

"...the heart and mind are the true lens of the camera". - Yousuf Karsh

Shooter
    Large Format
    So far I've shot the EDU 100 and expose and develop at 100. I do have 400 on order.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    So far I've shot the EDU 100 and expose and develop at 100. I do have 400 on order.
    Regardless, the logic of exposure and development is true.

More shadow detail = more exposure
    More contrast = longer development time.
    "Often moments come looking for us". - Robert Frank

"Make good art!" - Neil Gaiman

"...the heart and mind are the true lens of the camera". - Yousuf Karsh

PDH

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The Forma Data sheets seems to suggest that Formapan 100 developed in D 76 stock has a true film speed of 100, Formapan 400 on the other hand seems to top out at 320 with Microphen and just under 300 with D 76 stock. Matches my experience, I shoot 100 at 100 and develop in D76 1:1 with good shadow detail, 400 at 200 developed in Microdal X 1:3 with good shadow details. I shoot Forma 200 at 125 and develop in D76 1:1. Others have posted that the shoot 100 at 50.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I routinly rate Foma and Arista at half box speed and develope in PMK Pyro or Pyrocat-HD to harden the emulsion as it scratches easily. I also use water instead of acid stop to negate pinholes in the emulsion.
    Rick A
    Argentum aevum
    BTW: the big kid in my avatar is my hero, my son, who proudly serves us in the Navy. "SALUTE"

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin