Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,056   Posts: 1,561,420   Online: 1121

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Shooter
    35mm
    I have only had this probelm with Efke.

I took the backing paper and reattched the negatives to it, and iscovered that the images of the numbers appered where the numbers actually touched the emulsion, in other words they were offset to where light comming through the back of the camera could cause them to appear.

Avoiding this sort of trabsfer is the reason that has been given for the Light coloured print on Ilford roll film.
    Charles MacDonald
    aa508@ncf.ca
    I still live just beyond the fringe in Stittsville

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Mustafa Umut Sarac View Post
    If DE is Delaware and if I am an Geography Bee , You are living at Atlantic Coast and some places have very high humidity.
    If the markings have same exposure , I think paper printed its ink on to your film. What is your camera by the way ?
    I wish you the best luck ,changing your film and supplier would change everthing.

Quite possibly humidity. They were stored in the fridge until we moved and haven't been put back in. I'm thinking moisture caused the ink to transfer onto the emulsion.
    http://filmphotog.blogspot.com/ my blog

Please visit my film photography youtube channel and subscribe:

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    It's easy to tell if it's caused by light through the window or by ink transference. If the number appears in the same place on the negative as the window is relative to the film gate (i.e. the centre of the frame for 6x6) then it's light through the window causing it. If it is offset by about an inch, it's ink transference (or reaction) to the emulsion.

Steve.
    "People who say things won't work are a dime a dozen. People who figure out how to make things work are worth a fortune" - Dave Rat.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Its wrapper offset.

Everyone has made valid comments :

The wrapper itself can cause offset but its very,very rare 99.99% of the time its about having a level of light that exposes the film through the wrapper and that usually only happens on red window camera's. When red window camera's were made film tended to be 'less sensitive'. Temperature and humidity, static and storage as other people have said can also contribute.

So, its really about 'good practice' : If you have a red window camera and it has a cover, and many have, USE IT, if it does not, make one using black electricians tape, ensure the camera is 'in the open' for as little time as possible. When you have finished using it ensure it goes back in its cover and then back in a light proof camera bag. Try not to have exposed or unexposed film in a red window camera for too long, when loading 120 film ( in any camera ) load in subdued light, never in bright sunlight.

As CmacD mentioned, our wrapper is printed with a fairly light print this helps avoid offset, some people say its difficult to see....we consider that worthwhile to help avoid wrapper offset which is pretty catastrophic and unrecoverable..

Simon ILFORD Photo / HARMAN technology Limited :

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Simon R Galley View Post
    Its wrapper offset.
    I was scratching my head trying to figure this out...

"Wrapper offset" as in "offset printing": ink going on to one surface and then transferring to another surface? "Wrapper" as in "backing paper": the paper that is behind the film as it goes through the camera.

The terms don't cross the pond very well. Two cultures separated by a common language and all that.
    DARKROOM AUTOMATION
    f-Stop Timers - Enlarging Meters
    http://www.darkroomautomation.com/da-main.htm

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Yes, a little confusing, but think of how the roll is when you open the wrapper. Yes, it is wound rather tight isn't it? That means the film emulsion is tight up against the number printed on the backing paper from the frame or several frames before it. That means it the ink used for numbers is might chemically release some sort of harmful vapor to the emulsion or if the ink/paint is still damp it might leave it's imprint on the emulsion. If you have a negative with the edge frame number of 10 and the shadow number is 10 then I'd say it's a red window problem. If it is frame 10 and you have some other number then I'd say you have a transfer problem. Mine with Efke was a window problem, but like Simon Says don't leave the window uncovered for any length of time of in very bright light, use tape. I left my camera unused and exposed to light many days before I finished the roll. On some frames there was nothing since I advanced the film for several shots rather quickly and light didn't have time to penetrate the backing paper. I always use tape now since one of the shots on the Efke was of a very good friend who has since passed on and just above his head, in the sky, is the number 6 or 9 whichever way you want to look at it. Lesson learned, as usual, the hard way. JohnW

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Nicholas Lindan View Post
    The terms don't cross the pond very well. Two cultures separated by a common language and all that.
    They didn't make much sense this side either!

Quote Originally Posted by John Wiegerink View Post
    If you have a negative with the edge frame number of 10 and the shadow number is 10 then I'd say it's a red window problem. If it is frame 10 and you have some other number then I'd say you have a transfer problem.
    With a transfer, it will only be offset by one rotation of the roll around the spool so it's likely to be the correct number for the frame but offset by between 3/4" and 1 1/2".

Steve.
    "People who say things won't work are a dime a dozen. People who figure out how to make things work are worth a fortune" - Dave Rat.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Smith View Post
    They didn't make much sense this side either!

With a transfer, it will only be offset by one rotation of the roll around the spool so it's likely to be the correct number for the frame but offset by between 3/4" and 1 1/2".

Steve.
    True Steve! I'm just locked in the 2 1/4" sq. mode at the moment and if it's transfer then the numbers, either way, won't be in the middle of the frame. Just going back to the OP first thread and example it does seem to be transfer if he's getting all the guide marks he's indicating. JohnW

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Yes. I think he said that he is seeing all the marks, not just those pertinent to his frame size which would be the only set behind the window.

Steve.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Ultrafine 120 film: I can see the numbers and guide marks on my exposures!

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Smith View Post
    I have never had a problem with light coming in through a red window. I suspect it's the ink transfer rather than light.

Steve.
    I agree.
    -----------------------

"Well, my photos are actually much better than they look..."

Richard S.
    Albany, CA (San Francisco bay area)

My Flickr River of photographs
    http://flickriver.com/photos/rich815...r-interesting/

My Photography Website
    http://www.lightshadowandtone.com

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin