Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 73,571   Posts: 1,621,859   Online: 920

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    according to the photflo MSDS this is what it has:
    Concentrate: 30-40
    Water (007732-18-5) 35-40
    Ethylene glycol (000107-21-1) 25-30
    p-tert-octylphenoxy polyethoxyethyl alcohol (009002-93-1)

The PTO alcohol should be the main active ingredient, also known as Octoxynol-9, or Triton X-100, used in Hair products (rinse) and other houselhold items.
    The Chemical Info of it is here:
    http://chem.sis.nlm.nih.gov/chemidpl...e/ChemFull.jsp
    Mama took my APX away.....

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    I use Agfa Sistan (25ml per litre of water), which does contain formaldehyde I believe. It is a milder wetting agent than PhotoFlo, but it also acts as a preservative for B&W films and RC prints. Ctein recommends Sistan or selenium toning to get the most life out of RC prints. In general I prefer FB papers, but for prints that are going to be handled and that someone might want to put into an album or a desk frame (i.e.--no fancy conservation framing), then RC paper and Sistan isn't a bad compromise.
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

Images
    I have used a few drops of dishwashing soap in distilled water.
    Watch for Loose Gravel

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Loose Gravel
    I have used a few drops of dishwashing soap in distilled water.
    Ditto. Worked fine. If I remember my schooldays correctly wetting agents just lower (or increase, like I said it was a long time ago!) the surface tension of the water enebling it to 'run off' more efficiently. You can buy wetting agents as a 'finisher' for washing cars too. Anything that lowers (or increases?) surface tension should suffice as a wetting agent.

-----------My Flickr-----------
    Anáil nathrach, ortha bháis is beatha, do chéal déanaimh.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Try adding about 25ml of Isopropal Alchohol to your wetting agent, it helps eliminate drying marks. I don't buy the pure alchohol from the chemist I use rubbing compound that I get when I visit the US it's 98% alchohol and costs a fraction the price of the pure stuff in the UK. I used to have real problems with drying marks until I started doing this several years ago. Never had a problem since.
    "Digital circuits are made from analogue parts"
    Fourtune Cookie-Brooklyn May 2006

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I dry my prints in a home made Senrac(AKA a plastic tube with a hair dryer and filter attatched) and have never had problems with water drops.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Fuji-Hunt has this great stuff called Banstatic. It is used in color processing for a final rinse. I put a few drops in at the end of the wash. It not only prevents any watermarks it also makes the film attact less dust. It makes a really big difference in the darkroom.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Any chemical that reduces surface tension but does not contaminate such as commercial surfactants; also Calgon. Even 1-drop of dish detergent works well.

rjr
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images

Agfa Sistan

David,

Quote Originally Posted by David A. Goldfarb
    I use Agfa Sistan (25ml per litre of water), which does contain formaldehyde I believe. It is a milder wetting agent than PhotoFlo, but it also acts as a preservative for B&W films and RC prints.
    Sistan contains no formaldehyde - but a wetting agent (probably Triton-X) and Rhodanid/Thiocyanate, which acts in a kind of suicide mission. It protects the colloid silver by reacting with any harmful substance in the air (usually sulphur dioxide).
    Tschüss,
    Roman

rjr
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Ed,

do you mean www.calgon.com with "the stuff in the supermarket"? This is not the Calgon used in photographic chemistry, which is Sodiumhexametaphosphat or "Fotoplex lll".

BTW, I believe that the "Supermarket Calgon" is snake oil, the Zeoliths in washing detergent will take care of any "hard water minerals" (as they say on their website) in the water.

I have not that much problem with Formaldehyde, but IIRC all current photographic wetting agent are formaline free. I know for sure that Tetenal Mirasol is... Actually I prefer stabilizer over the wetting agent (hardening the emulsion, biozide, cleaner films), I take care of the formaldehyde in it by appropriate handling and there are formaline free stabis out there, either.

The rinse aid used in dishwashers isn´t that different from most commercial wetting agents and -unlike dish wash fluid- they contain no perfume, no colors. I remember a friend using it in the rare occasions when his 1l "life time stock" Mirasol bottle was empty. ,-)
    Tschüss,
    Roman

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin