Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,730   Posts: 1,515,255   Online: 819

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm RF
    LOL! Ads?! Salespeople? Not for Kodak! When was the last time you saw an ad for a Kodak product that you use? I've Never seen a Kodak advertisement for Xtol! And when it was released in 96-97 I had to bug the Kodak rep to let me BUY some! And yet Tri-X keeps going up in price...

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Simon R Galley View Post
    In the corner of my computer screen, the feed that is with me every minute of the day says silver as of 4 minutes ago was $ 31.39 per troy ounce. We buy silver by the tonne.:
    Miners have mortgages and rights to safe workplaces too. Some of us even spend a little of our dirty, hot & dangerously earned money on film/chems/paper.

The investment in developing new mines boggles the mind. Those investors (you know, super funds, people like us etc) expect a return on that investment.

That investment must be funded over the life of the mine by a volatile commodity price traded in a speculative market by financiers who don't know or care what the product is, what it's used for, or how many hobbyists have to pay an extra $ for their final product. Commodities are the new housing bubble. It's way of the world for the foreseeable future.

It's very, very unfortunate that small businesses who simply want to use the commodities as raw material are forced to pay prices pushed up by speculators. Frankly, I'm happy to pay a little more. I use very little at a time. By comparision to (say) following football, it's still a cheap hobby once our equipment is depreciated. (my Franka must be fully depreciated by now surely? 60+ years?).

Apologies for the rant. (but I do feel better, thanks.)

MattPC

Shooter
    35mm
    Today I pay less for film online than I did 10 years ago when I didn't have an internet connection and bought locally. I still have the wrapping paper of a roll of HP5+ with a price tag from back then attached. It cost me nearly twice than what I pay for it today - not factoring in inflation, rising prices and labour cost as well as shrinking demand...

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The price for film is quite differenciated:

For a rebranded roll of type 135-36 middle of the road Kodak or Fuji film drugstore chains ask as regular price about 0.80€.
    The price of the manufacturer's brand film is at its cheapest about 3-times of that.
    Kodak Portra 800 even costs about 10-times.

In the non-consumer field, typically overlooked here at Apug, the price is of much bigger importance, than here with aficionados around. In that field there are more housebrands than manufacturers.
    Last edited by AgX; 01-17-2013 at 09:19 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    35mm
    I don't find the price of film that expensive. For me my hobby is very affordable. As the former owner of a small business, I would also like to add the cost of maintaining an inventory is also a significant cost, as is things like insurance, etc. It's called overhead. Personally, I'm surprised that we can buy film as cheaply as we do.

When I was partnering with my father in law in his lawn care business, I sat down and calculated the cost just for the mowing side of our lawn care business. Factoring in everything, it cost $50 just to pull the truck up to the curb. That was before the crew got out of the truck, started the mowers, etc. This was back in 2000. Not realizing the total cost, we were charging $50 to mow (acre size lots), and we were losing money fast.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Without wishing to hijack the thread, I wondered (perhaps Simon can say) at what point(volume wise) does a film become un profitable to make? I know that you could say if some one was prepared to pay, lets say within sensible limits. I have no idea for example just how many orders Ilford need to make a batch of a specific lf film.
    Alan

Shooter
    Multi Format
    in the 1800s photography was expensive
    in the 1900s photography was expensive
    and now, photography is still expensive.

you can re-coop some of your costs, as ilford does
    by recycling your spent silver. it might take a while
    but it is just $$$ down the drain.
    if my apug gallery looks empty you might check these places

website
    blog
    sell-site

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I don't think price of film is high. You can get 90 meters of Polypan for 30 eur on ebay. That is cheap. Even superb films like HP5+ or Tmax are not that expensive. You just need to buy camera that slows you down, so you shoot less, but better

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I honestly can't remember a number for purchasing film when I first started shooting it seriously (1958!) but I suspect if we find the numbers we will find it is cheaper today, adjusted for inflation. I recall getting a 20 exposure roll of slides processed for around $1.25. I also recall a summer job after my first year in college where we were paid minimum wage. We "summer helpers" got a raise in August because the minimum wage went up -- to $1.64 per hour! Now before you laugh too hard, that would buy about six gallons of regular petrol at the time!

Anybody got a chart of inflation adjusted film prices?

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by salan View Post
    Without wishing to hijack the thread, I wondered (perhaps Simon can say) at what point(volume wise) does a film become un profitable to make? I know that you could say if some one was prepared to pay, lets say within sensible limits. I have no idea for example just how many orders Ilford need to make a batch of a specific lf film.
    Alan
    This depends of course on the price the buyer accepts. Furthermore one has distinguish between products that are standard, non-standard products for which formulas and materials and tools are in house already and products that have to be designed, materials or tools have to be made for.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin