Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,546   Posts: 1,573,000   Online: 843

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Gerald C Koch View Post
    Since moles really has no bearing in your argument why mention it at all.
    I don't gopher it either...
    I do use a digital device in my photographic pursuits when necessary.
    When someone rags on me for using film, I use a middle digit, upraised.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Look at the property tax rate in Rochester. It's high. I think there's also property taxes on plant and equipment in New York State. That's why Kodak tears down buildings in Kodak Park when they stop using them -- too expensive to pay the property tax.

Some of the sensitizing dyes make silver nitrate look dirt cheap.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Sooooo right John.

And Silver Nitrate will keep. Not so for some of those dyes!

PE

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Exactly most people do not know what mole means. This effectively isolates them from the discussion. Since moles really has no bearing in your argument why mention it at all.
    Which argument? The one about film prices or the one about scientists.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I don't mind being excluded from the conversation. (I once knew what a mole was but forgot most of the high school chem I ever knew.) To me it really doesn't matter how much it costs to make (or package or market) film because all I care about is the retail price I'm paying. Lower is better but it isn't for me to really determine (other than the intellectual curiousity) if the price is justified or not.

Exactly most people do not know what mole means. This effectively isolates them from the discussion. Since moles really has no bearing in your argument why mention it at all.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by BrianShaw View Post
    (I once knew what a mole was but forgot most of the high school chem I ever knew.)
    How about some SoCal home kitchen chemistry? I love mole. Especially guacamole.
    I do use a digital device in my photographic pursuits when necessary.
    When someone rags on me for using film, I use a middle digit, upraised.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by silvergrahm View Post
    Which argument? The one about film prices or the one about scientists.
    Well, as a scientist, and in an effort to be clearer............

In your statement, you used Haist as your source. However, you used the word "film" in place of the original word used by Haist which was "paper". This was a clear statement by a scientist which you altered and then misunderstood. So, even clear statements can be misunderstood by lay people in spite of an effort at clarity by the original scientist.

You equated film with paper. This is not correct.

Therefore, comments about clarity notwithstanding, we had a misunderstanding. You see the problem here?

PE

mts
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Has anybody considered supply and demand? Dwindling demand and tighter markets, and stocks that need to pay dividends are important, probably more so than the cost of materials and labor. Perhaps the best example is the price now asked for guns and ammunition; doubled in the past few months in the US with no change in the cost for materials and labor.
    By denying the facts, any paradox can be sustained--Galileo

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by mts View Post
    Has anybody considered supply and demand? Dwindling demand and tighter markets, and stocks that need to pay dividends are important, probably more so than the cost of materials and labor. Perhaps the best example is the price now asked for guns and ammunition; doubled in the past few months in the US with no change in the cost for materials and labor.
    what demand, and where? last I checked there was a surplus of film and not enough buyers haha, still, some film prices remain higher, like Kodak, who's LF sheets are so ridiculously high compared to it's competitors I can't see anyone buying them, really it's just stupid to sell a film of equal quality at twice the price of your competitor and think many will buy it out of "loyalty" well that only goes so far...

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by StoneNYC View Post
    what demand, and where? last I checked there was a surplus of film and not enough buyers haha, still, some film prices remain higher, like Kodak, who's LF sheets are so ridiculously high compared to it's competitors I can't see anyone buying them, really it's just stupid to sell a film of equal quality at twice the price of your competitor and think many will buy it out of "loyalty" well that only goes so far...
    Nice theory. Except Acros costs the same as TMX now (though Acros used to be a high-priced outlier) and there is no substitute for TMY2 - Delta400 isn't as good and it's not even available in sheets.

Once you get into traditional-grain films though, you are right. There's no Plus-X compared to the excellent pricing on FP4+ and the eastern-EU offerings.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin