Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,963   Posts: 1,523,232   Online: 849

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format

Making my own dry D-72 packets

I wonder if this is feasible...

I'm going to mix my own Dektol (D-72) from scratch. I have a question about the process.

I know the basic method of mixing such from scratch is, I go from top of the list and start adding components. Dissolve one completely then go to the next step. Then I thought... Dektol comes in one package already mixed. Can I create a powder mix first and just add water like I would with pre-packaged Dektol?

For the same reason, can I mix up dry chemicals, seal it in a bottle for one shot quantity or create a foil packaged/heat sealed one per serving packet? The mix doesn't decay if I keep it away from oxygen and not add water, correct? I'm envisioning one packet per serving type thing.... To avoid uneven mixing, I will measure each packet separately.
    Develop, stop, fix.... wait.... where's my film?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    PE would know better than me for sure, but I would assume there must be some additional compounds in Kodak's single packets that not only allow all the main ingredients to be stored together, but also allow them to go into solution together.

Regarding storage, note that Ilford's equivalent MQ film and paper developers are packaged in two packets.

Regarding mixing, for example, my understanding is that Metol will not readily dissolve in Sodium Sulfite solutions. This is why whenever both Metol and Sodium Sulfite are called for, the standard mixing practice is to dissolve only a pinch of Sulfite (to scavenge some Oxygen) before dissolving the Metol. The rest of the sulfite must go in at some point after the Metol is dissolved.

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Images
    If you get a price for metol , would you let me know where , I am looking for 25 lb quantity, I have tried my local supplier and am getting a quote from Artcraft.
    I am making my own as well, I would suggest you could make a stock solution . I keep mine in a 20 litre container and it lasts for the time lines I work in.
    I have kept all my Ilford multigrade 5 litre containers so I can mix 30 - 40 litres at a time of stock and use as I go.

I would be very interested how far you go down this wormhole and then I would like to steal your idea.

Bob
    Quote Originally Posted by tkamiya View Post
    I wonder if this is feasible...

I'm going to mix my own Dektol (D-72) from scratch. I have a question about the process.

I know the basic method of mixing such from scratch is, I go from top of the list and start adding components. Dissolve one completely then go to the next step. Then I thought... Dektol comes in one package already mixed. Can I create a powder mix first and just add water like I would with pre-packaged Dektol?

For the same reason, can I mix up dry chemicals, seal it in a bottle for one shot quantity or create a foil packaged/heat sealed one per serving packet? The mix doesn't decay if I keep it away from oxygen and not add water, correct? I'm envisioning one packet per serving type thing.... To avoid uneven mixing, I will measure each packet separately.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Bob,

I got my metol from Adorama which sells Photographers' Formulary products. 100 gram jar I bought was 13 dollars. I see one pound jar is about $50 right now. My needs are so small compared to yours, so I do not have the price for quantity advantage. It was just convenient to buy from this source along with my other stuff.

If I do not get a definitive answer here, I am going to just mix up my powders and keep it in a jar for 6 months and see what it does. My printings are very sporadic. "Per shot" packaging may work well for me if I can get that to happen.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Calling PE... calling PE... come-in, PLEASE!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    PE can chime in better than I can, but there's something in Anchell, Anchell/Troop about metol going bad with sulfite in the same mix.

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Images
    Fyi I just got a great price from Mike at ArtCraft on Metol and Hydroquinone.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Pre-measuring components for darkroom solutions is very handy and effective. I use it for fixers, but that's all.

For developers, remember that you must keep the metol separate and dissolve it first. Metol forms an insoluble aduct with sulfite. That is solved in commercial developers by special coatings, but you can't do that at home. So preparing packets to mix up D-72 is quite practical, but you will need two packets. If you want an single packet, you might look to a phenidone based developer, which doesn't have this problem.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    So, I can make a small packet of Metol and let it be packet A, then everything else as packet B.

Would this work with THIS recipe?

Water at 50c 750ml
    Metol 3g
    Sodium Sulfite (anhydrous) 45g
    Hydroquinone 12g
    Sodium Carbonate (monohydrate) 80g / (anhydrous) 66.64g
    Potassium Bromide 2g
    Water to make 1000ml

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The answer is NO unless you keep the sodium carbonate separate from the Metol and hydroquinone. Even doing this will not guarantee that the mixture does not eventually turn brown. D-72 contains 5 ingredients you should be able make a batch of solution in less than 10 minutes.
    Last edited by Gerald C Koch; 01-17-2013 at 10:02 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    A rock pile ceases to be a rock pile the moment a single man contemplates it, bearing within him the image of a cathedral.

~Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin