Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,652   Posts: 1,481,312   Online: 1019

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images

Kodachrome in D76 photo from neg.

Maybe something of interest to some people-maybe not!I recently bought a set of 3 cameras on ebay,one of which was an Argus brick.Before opening up the back I tried to wind on the film winder,but I was at the end of a roll of film.I rewound it and took it out.It was a roll of Kodachrome 64,the empty box with the camera suggests that it expired in July of 1983.I developed the film in straight d76 for 15 minutes at 70 deg.After my usual fix in Kodak rapid fix for 4 minutes,and washing,I soaked the film in a solution of 1 laundry scoop(!) of boraxo and 500ml of hot water for 5 minutes,the remjet backing came off,very messy but it did come off.The negatives were dark green and showed not a whole lot of artistic merit(just like my own).The included scan is of a print I just made,of the only face on the roll of film,on my HP, 4 in one scanning thing.The print is on V.C.paper.Lesson-Don't throw away your undeveloped family Kodachrome negatives!Click image for larger version. 

Name:	kodachrome dev.d76 15min 70 deg.jpg 
Views:	97 
Size:	113.0 KB 
ID:	62848

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Thanks for sharing that! I recently discovered four rolls of K64 in my freezer and, of course, there is nowhere to have them processed. I was mulling over the possibility of cross processing and wondering what might be the outcome. Looks like I might be able to do something with them. Expiry was 2008 or 2010, don't remember. Thanks for the procedure! If you have any further suggestions to ensure a better outcome, I'm all ears!
    -Fred

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Think something like this is possible for Super 8 cartridges? Found one in my grandparent's video camera and it would be cool to check it out....maybe

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    The black backing does make a mess,it's a gooey oil-slick type covering.Most of it came off on its own,some spots had to be rubbed.I had to clean my reel and tank in hot water afterwards.Judging by the print,the negatives were fogged and some light leak can be seen in the form of sprocket holes,overall though,for film exposed 30 years ago,it's not bad.This would be especially worthwhile for someone with family type exposures,I think.You could get to see someone you knew once again.Fred,I think it's a messy procedure to achieve something that could be better done on "regular " film,Heterolysis-if it were my grandparents Super 8 I'd find a way to do it!The roll I used was k-14 process,others may differ.Thanks for the comments!

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin